Discuss max length of a 1.0mm flex in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

test electrical

Testing a school which has had lots of LED upgrades with exor controls. 12 way unit above the suspend ceiling with flex's down to the switches. All the leads were 12/14 meters long with the most of it thrown across the ceilings like spiders wed. I use to have a table of max loads and sizes but can't find it in the Regs.

I sure it shouldn't be more than 3/4m in air but its tie rapped to the ceiling supports and all sorts and there's 15/20 rooms like this. So I have put down BS: 522.8.5 fixed wiring cables not adequately supported C2 in the my Notes so far. Anyone got that table on a pdf or a download link handy.

Thanks

View attachment 34989

Ugly, even my shed looks better :)
From BYB 1mm has 44mV/A/m drop and will be rated at least 10A. Interesting to see if the long runs meet the max loop impedance :)

The cable will need to comply for voltage drop, not something to be concerned with on an EICR and fault protection. It is debatable whether flexible cords need fixing in this scenario and are unlikely to be prone to damage. Not sure why you feel this is a C2. Looking crap isn't necessarily dangerous.

I suppose if the ceiling grid gives way under the heat those cables coming down won't make much difference.

Just a couple points that kind of relate to this. the flex for switches are 0v, those boxes are a PITA to program, not cheap either unless you buy the kit yourself and go on the course, they can do damn near anything you want. im a big fan of the one test switch you can stick in the caretakers office and they can test the whole system in one go. also worth noting is that the link the shorts feed and em feed isn't always in place properly, only one bar actually into a terminal, right head scratcher solving that one.
On a different note, we installed fittings a while ago where you just had one ceiling greg then jumped off the fitting to the next. we had i think 16 fitting, all about 2m apart, so atleast 32m of flex, not sure if the manufacturer has a maximum length(obviously max load depening on fitting installed).

Thanks lads I no cost cutting getting bad, but the old 2x2 trunking still in most of the rooms with the the clicks less than 2m away. It's just ---- looking and with the fire regs and the new one in, about removing redundant cables, there's at least two C3 in there and this is new work carried out over the summer. I done some work on the new Alderhey hospital in Liverpool which was modular buildings and this is the future. I have come a long way from MI cables in a shipp yard, before we know it we will be extension lead engineers.

Ya the hand controller is £250+vat and the courses or free at Honeywell at Haydock I don't in Aus as well for the older ones with the MCBs in the controllers when the were call dinalight and Cbus which was a fortune, this new stuff is easy to pick up.

Thanks lads I no cost cutting getting bad, but the old 2x2 trunking still in most of the rooms with the the clicks less than 2m away. It's just **** looking and with the fire regs and the new one in, about removing redundant cables, there's at least two C3 in there and this is new work carried out over the summer. I done some work on the new Alderhey hospital in Liverpool which was modular buildings and this is the future. I have come a long way from MI cables in a shipp yard, before we know it we will be extension lead engineers.
I totally agree it looks like crap, maybe even been guilty of a similar install myself once upon a fast finish friday :flushed:. can't remember the name of the gear we're going to be using on this job but it comes pre programmed, and like th exor kit the pir's/mw detectors plug in through an rj45. used hager gear on the last job, came with a remote that let you program PIR's yourself, time, daylight/lux level etc, was a nifty bit of kit.

Reply to max length of a 1.0mm flex in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock