Discuss Max length of meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ive been asked to look at the electrical installation at a large 5 bed property with an attached annexe that the owners are converting into a 2 bed holiday let.
There's one supply cable that comes into the annexe for the entire property .
This is currently routed via a single meter to a CU .
2 sub boards are run from this , 1 for the annexe and 1 for the main house.
Trouble is , the house CU (20mtrs away) has been run using 10mm cable which is obviously insufficient. I would want to run this using 25mm CSA meter tails instead (after doing cable calcs) , via a separate meter , directly to the house's CU .
Is this allowed , can't find the regs covering max length of meter tails .
I've loads of other questions but will see what replies I get as they may answer some of these questions .
A big thank you if you've read this far !

I was always led to believe that meter tails, as the name implies, were just that. Ie. Short lengths from the meter to your first local termination, whatever that might be. Anything else after that are distribution circuits.

A 25 metre run of 25mm SWA might be extremely difficult to run through a house, split con might be easier although personally I can't stand terminating it.

This is covered by the regs. This is a circuit like any other and should have adequate overcurrent and fault protection. The DNO usually allow use of their fuse up to 3m. See 433.3.1 (iii)
The 3m rule has basis in the regs also as the maximum length for a cable with the device for protection of overload not at origin of the circuit. 433.2.2 (ii)

Reply to Max length of meter tails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
I'm converting my old garage into a two bedroom annex. At its nearest point it is approx 10m from main house. I plan it to be all electric, UFH...
Replies
Views
Been asked to move, remove and add some sockets the kitchen and I’ll need to add a circuit for an electric hob. Looked at the board and it’s one...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views
Can someone sanity check my thinking please.... An 80 amp PME service head, tails to meter, 25 sq mm tails into an enclosed fused isolator with...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock