Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Max length of meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. 8ballpoolplayer

8ballpoolplayer EF Member

Ive been asked to look at the electrical installation at a large 5 bed property with an attached annexe that the owners are converting into a 2 bed holiday let.
    There's one supply cable that comes into the annexe for the entire property .
    This is currently routed via a single meter to a CU .
    2 sub boards are run from this , 1 for the annexe and 1 for the main house.
    Trouble is , the house CU (20mtrs away) has been run using 10mm cable which is obviously insufficient. I would want to run this using 25mm CSA meter tails instead (after doing cable calcs) , via a separate meter , directly to the house's CU .
    Is this allowed , can't find the regs covering max length of meter tails .
    I've loads of other questions but will see what replies I get as they may answer some of these questions .
    A big thank you if you've read this far !

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i think that there's no reg. to cover that, but DNOs usually request/demand that tails over 3m in length are protected by a switch/fuse with the fuse being of a lower rating than their supply fuse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

25m long metre tails? Are you mad?

25mm SWA is what you need. And a switchfuse at the origin.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Devonchris

Devonchris Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    O
    I was always led to believe that meter tails, as the name implies, were just that. Ie. Short lengths from the meter to your first local termination, whatever that might be. Anything else after that are distribution circuits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I think this is another "failure" of the regs ................. and therefore the 3m length is common sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. johnduffell

johnduffell Regular EF Member

The 3m rrul is just so the dno can take the load off and know they've done it before pulling the fuse.

7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Time for some switch fuses and SWA :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

How I wish that I had mentioned that
    :p

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    agree with the above comment, 25 metres of tails cables is a very expensive method of achieving what you want to do, swa or concentric would be my choice

10. Judd

Judd Regular EF Member

A 25 metre run of 25mm SWA might be extremely difficult to run through a house, split con might be easier although personally I can't stand terminating it.

11. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

This is covered by the regs. This is a circuit like any other and should have adequate overcurrent and fault protection. The DNO usually allow use of their fuse up to 3m. See 433.3.1 (iii)
    The 3m rule has basis in the regs also as the maximum length for a cable with the device for protection of overload not at origin of the circuit. 433.2.2 (ii)