Discuss Max permissible ZS for rcbo 61009 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

atm84

-
Reaction score
So, when I did my 2391 I&t course I was told to use to values in table 41.3 of the regs for max ZS value for rcbo which provide earth fault, and over load protection. Recently a colleague of mine said you should use the value in table 41.5 which states a max permissible ZS of 1667 ohms. I don't think that is correct as I didn't think table 41.5 is correct where the device is also providing overload protection.

Any thoughts?

What is the earthing system?

On a new install with a TN system then the 1667 should not apply as the RCBO is used for additional protection

It's a TNC-S system. I agree. I thought table 41.5 was in relation to TT systems as it comes under that title, and that it was relating to rcd devices that are only providing earth fault protection and not over load protection as well.

My mate put 1667 ohms on the test cert for an rcbo. We ended spending half the day discussing it. Grrrr

It's a new install and the measures ZS is well within the max allowed for whichever value you use. It was just an observation on what value you put in the column for max permissible value

if it's a TN system, then the measured Zs's should not exceed the values given for the OCPD part of the RCBO. and these are the values you should use. the 1667 value should only be used where RCDs are used for fault protection. i.e. on a TT system. ( that's my view and i'm sticcking to it, no matter what nic-nic, scalp-it, or erecta say).

There is no dispute here. The regs are very clear on the maximum permissable Zs values for any type of OCPD or RCD it covers on any system within the remit of BS 7671.

I assume we are talking here about a 30mA RCBO? No one has made this clear.

If so, the maximum permissable Zs value on a TN system is 7667ohms. On a TT system the maximum permissable Zs value is 1667ohms. The word 'maximum' is the clue here!

Regardless of how ridiculous these values are, regardless of whether or not you would accept such measured values and regardless of what you think may or may not be best practice, these are the cold hard facts.

Ok but if the device is providing overload protection then surely you would use the values in table 41.3. Table 41.5 does not make reference to a device that is providing overload protection.

What he said.
Like it or not fella's 411.4.9 covers TN systems and states that 'where an RCD is used to satisfy 411.3.2.2 (disconnection times) table 41.5 may be applied.
Therefore either table may be used as the maximum Zs for an RCBO.

But that is relating to RCDs that are providing earth fault protection. I am referring to an RCBOs that is providing earth fault and over current protection.

Ok but if the device is providing overload protection then surely you would use the values in table 41.3. Table 41.5 does not make reference to a device that is providing overload protection.

411.4.9 covers that and Chapter 41 is generally dealing with protection against electric shock not overload, that is covered in Chapter 43!

What has overload protection got to do with earth fault protection? The maximum permissable Zs value is there to ensure that disconnection times are met in the event of an earth fault only. There is no maximum permissable disconnection time for short circuit or overload, therefore that part becomes irrelivant.

The maximum permitted Zs of a 32A B type 60898 to ensure that a disconnection time of less than 0.4s is achieved on a TN system in the event of an earth fault is 1.15ohms.

The maximum permitted Zs of a 30mA 32A B type 61009 to ensure that a disconnection time of less than 0.4s is achieved on a TN system in the event of an earth fault is 7667ohms.

What has overload protection got to do with earth fault protection? The maximum permissable Zs value is there to ensure that disconnection times are met in the event of an earth fault only. There is no maximum permissable disconnection time for short circuit or overload, therefore that part becomes irrelivant.

The maximum permitted Zs of a 32A B type 60898 to ensure that a disconnection time of less than 0.4s is achieved on a TN system in the event of an earth fault is 1.15ohms.

The maximum permitted Zs of a 30mA 32A B type 61009 to ensure that a disconnection time of less than 0.4s is achieved on a TN system in the event of an earth fault is 7667ohms.

Ok I can hear your argument but that is contrary to what I was told on the 2391 course and what most other electricians I have spoken to say. However, my colleague agrees with you but states max ZS should be 1667 ohms and not 7667 ohms that you state above.

Ok I can hear your argument but that is contrary to what I was told on the 2391 course and what most other electricians I have spoken to say. However, my colleague agrees with you but states max ZS should be 1667 ohms and not 7667 ohms that you state above.

Why are max ZS values provided for mcbs then if they are irrelevant?

Doesn't matter what you were told on the 2391 course, if you were told different to what I explained then you were told wrong unfortunately.

Max Zs for a 30mA RCD on a TT system is 1667ohms because we use touch voltage (50V) in the equation. On a TN system however we can use the nominal (230V), hence why the max Zs is 7667 on a TN system.

It's not the MCBs that are irrelevant, it's the provision of overload or short circuit protection that's irrelevant. MCBs provide earth fault protection too, that is what the max Zs values are there for.

Doesn't matter what you were told on the 2391 course, if you were told different to what I explained then you were told wrong unfortunately.

Max Zs for a 30mA RCD on a TT system is 1667ohms because we use touch voltage (50V) in the equation. On a TN system however we can use the nominal (230V), hence why the max Zs is 7667 on a TN system.

It's not the MCBs that are irrelevant, it's the provision of overload or short circuit protection that's irrelevant. MCBs provide earth fault protection too, that is what the max Zs values are there for.

Ok I think I understand. I think the way I was looking at it was because an RCBO was used then the max ZS should apply to 'MCB' part as this uses a more onerous (lower) ZS value.

From what you are saying, you use the ZS for 'RCD' part. Because as an rcd is used a higher ZS is acceptable to meet th disconnection times.

Ok I think I understand. I think the way I was looking at it was because an RCBO was used then the max ZS should apply to 'MCB' part as this uses a more onerous (lower) ZS value.

From what you are saying, you use the ZS for 'RCD' part. Because as an rcd is used a higher ZS is acceptable to meet th disconnection times.

I'm not saying a higher Zs is 'acceptable', far from it in fact, but I am illustrating a point that the word 'maximum' means just that. Not 'midway', not 'biggest interpreted value', not 'maximum for one particular component'. But MAXIMUM. :)

Basically, if you get a fault to earth, you want the device to operate within the required time. With an RCBO, either the mcb or rcd part will operate, so you can base it on the worst case being the rcd part of the device.

Overload or short circuit to neutral are irrelevant where Zs is concerned. Zs only considers a fault to earth. However, if your Ze is good and it's your R1+R2 that is high, you need to consider your R1+RN value to ensure the device will operate under short circuit conditions.

Reply to Max permissible ZS for rcbo 61009 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock