Discuss MCB or MCCB? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon all

Hopefully someone can throw some light on a small problem i have.
I am currently on a job, carrying out an eicr on a building and i am confused by the ocpd feeding it......
The set up is, main cut out in the sports hall building, then there are 5 circuits fed from the 200a main panel, this is where the theatre building i am testing is fed from.
The Zs at the 3 phase board is around 0.45.
The ocpd feeding it is branded OEZ and has C80 on it, which if you class it as a standard 60898 mcb would obviously put the Zs way above the max value. But as it's physical size is bigger than a standard 60898 3 phase mcb it has confused me, is it an mcb or mccb?
Google doesn't throw up much help so thought i would try here.

Thanks

Matt

View attachment 35493

View attachment 35494

Usually 15ka BS EN60947-2?

What makes of distribution boards except these?

Link is to Eaton/Mem, all the brands do them, hager, schneider electric, chint, just I've never seen them refer to a panel which they actually fit in. Often seen them coupled to an RCD along side with a shunt trip

If it has 60947-2 then it is not an mcb, if it has 60898 then mcb, well in my eyes anyway.

Thanks all, yes that's it Rocboni, it does have 10kA on it.
I was 99% sure it was an mcb, but the size made me doubt myself.
Next job, what to do, to overcome the Zs problem.....
The install is only 5 years old so i wanted to see what they had put on their test certificate, as that is a big cock up in my opinion.

Hi - if I've understood correctly there is risk with ads now 10 seconds (say).

Edit : assuming not a design error, there will be a hot spot perhaps?

Thanks all, yes that's it Rocboni, it does have 10kA on it.
I was 99% sure it was an mcb, but the size made me doubt myself.
Next job, what to do, to overcome the Zs problem.....
The install is only 5 years old so i wanted to see what they had put on their test certificate, as that is a big cock up in my opinion.
Do you need to overcome the Zs problem if you are doing an EICR.

If it has 60947-2 then it is not an mcb, if it has 60898 then mcb, well in my eyes anyway.

Hagar appear to have there MCB (80-125A) as both 10 kA BS EN 60898-1 and 10 kA BS EN 60947-2

Matt, out of interest what type of panel is it, not that it matters, just interested?

Reply to MCB or MCCB? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net