Discuss MCB/RCBO/RCD/Fuses - Periodic inspection in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys.

A quick question.
- When people do periodic inspection, is it considerad a defect on the intalation if the Protective diveces are no from the same brand?

- In a TP instalation using fuses should the 3 fuses be from the same brand?

I´m almost sure that I've herad that during my course but no being able to find it on Guidance note 3 or BS 7671...

Kind Regards

I can think of no good reason why fuses on a TP supply need to be from the same brand. A fuse is a fuse, made to an appropriate standard.

As for different manufacturers mcbs in boards, you see it all the time in industrial installations, and I can see no real problem with it.

Fuses are made to specific patterns and sizes and are interchangeable across brands.

MCBs and the like are not and are made by manufacturers to fit specific systems. Other brands fitted in can result in poor connections and potentially dangerous situations, I have seen this many times. It is also not to the manufacturer's instructions. It has long been an accepted bodge but it was never right and the current version of the regs has had to finally point this out.

Obviously there are exceptions such as Schneider group brands that are designed to fit and electrium group brands, but the manufacturer's blessing must always be obtained to check.

Fuses are made to specific patterns and sizes and are interchangeable across brands.

MCBs and the like are not and are made by manufacturers to fit specific systems. Other brands fitted in can result in poor connections and potentially dangerous situations, I have seen this many times. It is also not to the manufacturer's instructions. It has long been an accepted bodge but it was never right and the current version of the regs has had to finally point this out.

Obviously there are exceptions such as Schneider group brands that are designed to fit and electrium group brands, but the manufacturer's blessing must always be obtained to check.

That was exactly what i had been told... Sorry my lack of understanding but when you are talking about "interchangeable across brands" that means that they should be all from the same brand. Am i correct?

About the fuse i´ve been taught that the materials that they are made off are not exactly the same and that can change disconection time...

Many tanks

That was exactly what i had been told... Sorry my lack of understanding but when you are talking about "interchangeable across brands" that means that they should be all from the same brand. Am i correct?

About the fuse i´ve been taught that the materials that they are made off are not exactly the same and that can change disconection time...

Many tanks

Sorry, I'm a bit clumsy with my words a lot of the time. I meant fuses are made to specific patterns and sizes and no matter which brand you use they will fit.

Fuse disconnection times/curves are listed as standard in BS7671 so I would imagine that the BS would require standard construction to ensure these characteristics. I'm not entirely sure though.

Here is a fuse compatibility chart to check manufacturer codes against each other if you need.

Untitled - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/HRCFuses/Index.htm

Sorry, I'm a bit clumsy with my words a lot of the time. I meant fuses are made to specific patterns and sizes and no matter which brand you use they will fit.

Fuse disconnection times/curves are listed as standard in BS7671 so I would imagine that the BS would require standard construction to ensure these characteristics. I'm not entirely sure though.

Here is a fuse compatibility chart to check manufacturer codes against each other if you need.

Untitled - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/HRCFuses/Index.htm
Ok!!! tanks :)

Hi guys.

A quick question.
- When people do periodic inspection, is it considerad a defect on the intalation if the Protective diveces are no from the same brand?

- In a TP instalation using fuses should the 3 fuses be from the same brand?

I´m almost sure that I've herad that during my course but no being able to find it on Guidance note 3 or BS 7671...

Kind Regards
Type tested DBs have a breaking capacity of 16kA.
Non-type tested DBs have a breaking capacity that is equal to the lowest breaking capacity of the individual components.

As such, if you have a PFC of 4kA and the DB is type tested, no problem.

The use of other makes of components means the type testing is out the window.
You now have to verify that all components have a breaking capacity greater than 4kA.

The conditional rating is one issue, but it would be quite wrong to suggest that it's the only one. And for domestic type premises a DB should be type-tested (a consumer unit must be type-tested to meet the definition of a consumer unit).

Reply to MCB/RCBO/RCD/Fuses - Periodic inspection in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock