Discuss MCS Online Consultation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dear Colleague,
We are pleased to announce that the consultation on the competence criteria project being undertaken by MCS has now been launched!
This project has been undertaken to clarify the competence requirements at a company level for companies already within the Scheme and for those companies wishing to join the Scheme. The biggest challenge faced by installers within the renewable sector trying to join MCS and work with the Scheme requirements has been translating the company specific requirements in the MCS scheme documents into the existing competence criteria for individuals working within a company.
The proposals presented in the consultation show how we have now developed the company competence criteria for different roles now established, and also identifying which roles are required for each of the different technologies covered by the Scheme. This will make it simpler for everyone to understand exactly what they need to become members of the Scheme.
In addition to linking back through the company competence criteria, MCS has also developed clear criteria for experienced workers who do not hold specific individual qualifications. This criteria is set at the same level of existing qualification frameworks, and so ensures there is a level playing field for all individuals and companies joining the Scheme. The Experienced Worker Route (EWR) document is guidance to be used by all Certification Bodies to ensure consistency when approving companies against the performance criteria within the MCS Scheme documents.
To access the consultation documents and respond, please follow the link below to get to the consultation documents. A video is also included which provides a background to the project and also a quick summary of what the consultation is all about.
Click here to be taken to the consultation website to access the documents and response form.
All response forms should be submitted with "Competence Criteria Consultation Response Form" in the subject line to [email protected]
The consultation will only be open for responses until 5pm on 9th July 2012.
We look forward to receiving your comments.
Please do not respond to this email. Any queries should be directed to [email protected] / 020 7090 1082 .

Kind regards,

MCS Licensee

What makes me laugh is the 8.5 min video you've got to watch before you can even register to see the document. Doesn't look like they've got the message about less bureaucracy not more!

ye gods, this looks like being a massive shake up to the MCS certification scheme for installers, and a massive new load of work and expense for every installation company to comply.

what they seem to be missing is that IME the installers now who've been operating for a year or more will almost all be more experienced than the vast majority of people who actually do the training and assessing of these installers.

frankly I'm sick of having to pay for people to be sent on course to be fed with utter rubbish by inexperienced trainers who don't know any better, then having to retrain them properly myself to train out the bad habits they've just picked up on the training I've just paid for, then being assessed by sodding gas engineers who don't even understand equipotential bonding properly and refuse to climb a ladder to check the work out.

yes the scheme is a complete farce, and better assessment of competency wouldn't be a bad idea, but seriously they need to sort out the trainers and assessors before inflicting yet another round of training and assessment on us all.

also, it wouldn't hurt IMO if MCS would put their own house in order first and sort out their online portal so that it doesn't crash each time there's a bit of a rush on, before they stuck their oar in to our businesses yet again.

oh noes... they appear to have some sort of matrix for different compliance levels for different size companies. Under 5 employees, 5-10 employees and 11+ employees

Guess who took on an 11th employee recently.

oh noes... they appear to have some sort of matrix for different compliance levels for different size companies. Under 5 employees, 5-10 employees and 11+ employees

Guess who took on an 11th employee recently.

Sack her unless she is eye candy then sack the roofer.

nah, I'm just going to have to make them responsible for compliance with MCS standards... that'll learn them for being number 11.

I'm not even looking at it until Monday, but remember it's a consultation so it's our responsibility to respond if we don't like it. There were only 244 responses to the 2A consultation out of 4500 installation companies.

Got to say I'm sick of fighting, but I will respond - I feel like it give me license to moan about it later :)

Reply to MCS Online Consultation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock