Discuss MCS Qualification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was considering starting installing solar PV as another side of my electrical contracting business. I'm a fully qualified electrician and have installed some domestic systems as a sub-contractor and currently on a 150kw system. Is it worth going on a week solar course, as it is not a requirement if going MCS through NAPIT. It would probably just be the paperwork side which I would need help on. Any advice welcome

Paul

It may not directly be a requirement, however you have to show that youhave the nescessary skills, if you've not attended a course, then you'll need to prove experience.

In practice on a good course you'll learn what would take months to learn in experience, though even then you're just starting...

It will save you a small fortune and considering the rest of investment that you will make in getting MCS registered, it is a very small element of teh £20k plus cost.

The best all round courses that we've found (as they have no 'agenda') are the ones run at Sharp's Renewable Energy Academy at Wrexham, because they cover all aspects of the job from the electrical design, through site surveying to roofing, so you get a great 'kick start'.

'It would probably be just the paperwork side I'd need help on' I'm afraid that that is just a slight understatement. Jump in with your eyes wide open!

"It will save you a small fortune and considering the rest of investment that you will make in getting MCS registered, it is a very small element of teh £20k plus cost."

Is that what it cost you to set up ?. Was that including your initial electrical qualifications as well, because I worked it out to be around £2500-£3000 plus the cost of your first install materials, if you`re electrically qualified or have I missed something?

Reply to MCS Qualification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net