Discuss MCS & System Design in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There have been varying reasons for roofs failing. By failing I dont mean the roof has collapsed or anything, only failing when checking the loadings.

The most common factor is properties which are exposed and on high gruond. I would estimate that around 10-15% of the reports we have had fail.
Another common factor is snow loading. I woudl estimate that a good 15-20% of roofs fail due to this.
Costal areas and countryside areas are the most common areas where roofs fail.

We have now carired out over 1000 reports since our company forming in November last year so that gives you an idea of number of roof fails.

I have just stumbled accross the ELECSA stance on wind loading. Elecsa - Adding Loadings to a Roof

It basically says "Approved Document A stipulates requirements for roof loadings with respect to weight of loads imposed and wind loading". I would say they should be carried out on every install.

In full it says (my bold font):

'Approved Document A stipulates requirements for roof loadings with respect to weight of loads imposed and wind loading.

Both of these issues will need to be considered by contractors installing solar photovoltaic panels. In many cases this may involve structural checks and/or calculations being undertaken. Decisions involving these issues will form part of Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) assessment so must be documented. '
Now, while I agree that it is no small matter, ELECSA (who we are currently using) do not say that you must undertake calculations; only that you have to justify your decision. I have asked ELECSA to clarify this in relation to MIS 3002, issue 2.1, which says in section 4.4.4 (again my bold text):

'The contractor shall ensure that the roof structure is capable of withstanding the
loads (static and wind loads) that will be imposed by the PV modules and their
mounting arrangements. If there is any doubt, a structural engineer must be
consulted. Guidance on the mechanical installation and wind loads are given in
BRE Digests 495 and 489 or BS 6399.'

So, if I read things correctly, currently, I could say that I have considered the roof's integrity and decided that my mounting system and modules are acceptable and that would be enough to satisfy the MCS inspector (at least for ELECSA) as long as it's documented. This seems vague and should be clarified. Surely, it should be that we either do need to have calcs done or not and the smart money, as Bryan would no doubt agree, would be on having them done.

We too were told to use common sense on our 2399 course and inform domestic customers if we thought a survey should be done, taking care not to offer any advice on structural matters which we are unqualified to do. The additional £250.00 for a structural survey cuts into margins but if we all have to do it, there isn't an unfair price advantage for those who do not have them done every time.

Scottish Borders Council Building Control, for example, require a survey with all PV installations.

It does feel though, that more and more burdens are being placed on installers all the time. EPCs, FiT chaos, Green Deal etc........

At least they have provided a bit of clarification on the matter.

The only issue I can see is can everyone work out wind loadings (including uplift) on every install. If not then how can you be certain your installation is safe?

Our reports confirm the static loads, the imposed wind loads and the uplift wind loads which from reading the MIS 3002 4.4.4 is what every intallation requires.

Our reports are priced at £70 for a Residential Pitched Roof Property and £90 for Both Commercial and Flat Roof (including ballast calc) properties. If £250 is being quoted walk away. Thats way too much for what you require.

You can caluclate the wind loading on any angle, you just need to know how to do it. Whoever has provided you with this information has also been misinformed.

Reply to MCS & System Design in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net