• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Measuring current draw by AC motor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys.

This isn't a job, just so that you know. Just exploring.

I have a couple of AC motors and I am playing with them. One of the things I want to do is measure the current draw.

So I attach them to a power source and switch it on and off they go doing their thing. No problem there.

So I then switch them off and insert a multi in the line, set it to AC amps and switch it on again and motor doesn't operate. I do get a reading on the meter but it's not what I expect it to be.

Here's an example:

35W 50Hz 230V, although actual supply is 240VAC. This is from a dishwasher. It's the drain pump. Of course when I power it up on the bench it's not pumping water so it's not under load.

Anyway, here's the calculation:

Current i amperes = 34W / 240VAC = 0.142 amperes. Or 142 milliamps.

I would expect the measured current to be less than that given that i's not actually pumping water. Right?

So I insert the meter into the circuit and:

Set it to AC Amps I get a reading of 9.9

Set it to AC milliamps I get a reading of 59.8 milliamps
Now that's a possibility, I guess, since it's not under load.

I should point out that I only have two digits before the decimal point on this meter when in milliamp mode.

I didn't bother with microamps mode.

And, btw, the motor doesn't run while the meter in in the circuit. Runs fine when I remove it. Why would that be? Is the resistance of the meter that much that it reduces the current to the extent that the motor no longer functions? That would seem odd to me.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what's going on here?

How could these values be so wide of what I am expecting?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

use a clamp meter instead. you need one with a resolution low enough.e.g. 1mA.

Hello guys.

This isn't a job, just so that you know. Just exploring.

I have a couple of AC motors and I am playing with them. One of the things I want to do is measure the current draw.

So I attach them to a power source and switch it on and off they go doing their thing. No problem there.

So I then switch them off and insert a multi in the line, set it to AC amps and switch it on again and motor doesn't operate. I do get a reading on the meter but it's not what I expect it to be.

Here's an example:

35W 50Hz 230V, although actual supply is 240VAC. This is from a dishwasher. It's the drain pump. Of course when I power it up on the bench it's not pumping water so it's not under load.

Anyway, here's the calculation:

Current i amperes = 34W / 240VAC = 0.142 amperes. Or 142 milliamps.

I would expect the measured current to be less than that given that i's not actually pumping water. Right?

So I insert the meter into the circuit and:

Set it to AC Amps I get a reading of 9.9

Set it to AC milliamps I get a reading of 59.8 milliamps
Now that's a possibility, I guess, since it's not under load.

I should point out that I only have two digits before the decimal point on this meter when in milliamp mode.

I didn't bother with microamps mode.

And, btw, the motor doesn't run while the meter in in the circuit. Runs fine when I remove it. Why would that be? Is the resistance of the meter that much that it reduces the current to the extent that the motor no longer functions? That would seem odd to me.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what's going on here?

How could these values be so wide of what I am expecting?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks
Use a clamp on meter as Tel said with a low scale

As Matthew says, don't expect a cheap clamp meter to be anywhere near accurate enough to read low mA figures.

You don't need a clamp meter, multimeter is fine. Have you got the meter leads in the right sockets i.e. A and COM? If you have, then there's no circuit through the meter so either the shunt or the fuse is dead. But with a dead fuse I wouldn't expect a reading, and I've never managed to blow a shunt. If you have accidentally left the red lead in the V socket the pump won't run and you'll get a nonsense reading.

BTW the current won't be P/V because of the power factor, and running the pump dry will ruin the seal.

Reply to Measuring current draw by AC motor. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back