Discuss megger 1552 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No, but why question it iamelectric?

i have one, and it has never let me down in 5 & 1/2 years.... The super duper duracell ultras last yonks, why worry.

Maybe its to do with rechargeables being an altogether different beast of a battery to your normal bat bat.

in many ways

first, the voltage is lower. second, rechargeables have a high short circuit current which might damage the MFT.

Usually a tester will specifically state in the instructions if it's designed for use with rechargables. As a rule of thumb never use them in testers unless it does state they're okay.

Sorry about the last post, I think I may have just had a minor stroke. I just read it back and it doesn't make as much sense as when I was typing it.

makes sense to me. just as a digression, marvo, every time i hit "new posts", the sponsor tab comes back.

Thank Gawd for that, I thought the sponsor bar had a personal vendetta against me for some reason. It's one of those technical things that's above my paygrade so I'll report it for Dan to fix.

maybe it's part of dan's upgrade. he might get more from the sponsors this way. :veryangry2:

It could be the fact that they don't last as long when not being used, so you would actually get less battery life with the rechargeables. This is the reason rechargeable batteries aren't very good for TV remotes, or clocks, etc. Daz

yep. can't have 'er indoors on a go slow in the kitchen, can we?

Most rechargeable batteries are 1.2 volts.whereas a normal battery is 1.5 volts.Some electroninc equipment senses this and locks out as low battery,some years ago I spent a fortune on rechargeable batteries for my new camera and other things and 90% of the stuff wouldn't work on them.

Phil d is spot on, from day one of testing this was drummed in to us, but apparently if the rechargeables are of high quality (if there is such a thing anymore) then you MAY be ok but it is advised not to

Yes I noted that they are all (I have a large collection of AA rechargeables) 1.2 volts. Even checked with a meter.

whats that all about??

why arent they 1.5 like a duracell (non rechargeable). Fer gods sake. Eh.

think of your drill .....24V from 20 cells. 24/20 = 1.2V. different type of cell, different voltage. like market and meerkat.

anyone know why it says in the instruction that rechargeable batteries must not be used , cheers

Hi iamelectric
Rechargeable batteries are capable of fairly high short circuit current and the MFT1552 does not have battery protection
So it possible failure in the instrument power supply may give rise to a high current flowing that may further damage the tester.
Kind Regards
Megger Technical Support

cheers i have swapped them now , another question for you when i turn my meter on it says 1volt instead of zero and its just been calibrated is this a fault?

cheers i have swapped them now , another question for you when i turn my meter on it says 1volt instead of zero and its just been calibrated is this a fault?

Hi iamelectric
The voltage range on the MFT1552 has a minimum resolution of 1 volt and allowing for accuracy figures it is perfectly acceptable for the unit to display 1V
Kind Regards
Megger Technical Support

Reply to megger 1552 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock