Discuss Megger cm500 tester problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sam400

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I ve just bought a S/H megger CM500 tester, I can't get the insulation resistance test to work, I ve tried various different leads, checked the fuses, changed the batteries and it still won't work.
All that happens is you get 3 short beeps and the symbol of a little man/earth flashes in the top corner?

Has any one had this problem? Not sure if i am doing something wrong or if it is faulty?

Thanks

Sam

Says error is "Earth voltage too high" but I note on p.14 it says it has both three-wire and two-wire IR test modes. Maybe if you had the leads set up for 2-wire but were telling it to do the 3-wire, or possibly vice versa, it might give you an error?

Hi thanks for the replies, I 've tried every config of leads and settings and it still does the same thing.
Your right about the symbol meaning earth voltage being too high I found that in the manual but it still doesn't work when it's not connected to an
installation so it can't be that. I am guessing it's faulty!

Next question is where can I get it repaired?

Thanks

Sam

Where/how did you buy it? If IR test really doesn't work it's not fit for purpose, have you got any comeback to the seller?

Where/how did you buy it? If IR test really doesn't work it's not fit for purpose, have you got any comeback to the seller?

I bought it from eBay a few weeks ago but been too busy to even look at it.
You only get 30 day comeback now with eBay and I ve gone over that so will have to get it repaired or sell it for spares.
Would be a shame tho as its a nice bit of kit and in good condition.

Cheers

What happens when you apply the test to a high value resistor. say a 1 meg?
this will tell you if the meter is working... Also measure the voltage applied by the meter during this test...
The results of these tests will tell you if the instrument is working as it should.

Also what happens when you test with no leads plugged into it?

Definitely, you tried opening a dispute with the seller on the item? Did you pay with PayPal, you get 45 days to raise a Buyer Protection dispute if you did. Business or private seller? If business you have Sale Of Goods Act rights and others, eBay UK - eBay Safety Centre: Know Your Rights

Thanks for this post was a great help didn't realise PayPal was 45days
fingers crossed I'll be getting my money back

how much did you pay for it ? if it was cheap, might be worth fixing.

I paid £150 for it, megger wanted £380 to fix it, my local megger dealer wanted £30 to look at it then repairs Start at £100 upwards!

ask the calibration centre for a quote to repair.

Reply to Megger cm500 tester problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock