Discuss Megger Mft 1730 calculating R1&R2? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers topquark, I'll try that :)

Spoke briefly to Megger this morning and they say that the issue they are aware of is with a specific Wylex RCBO, not Wylex boards generally. They are currently looking into matters.

hi i just bought the 1730 but im finding it difficult to bluetooth results.By that i mean i am just practicing at home with it doing tests on my own house and trying to blue tooth the results to the cert on my computer i can do this one at a time but i have been testing say, a whole circuit and cannot send the results all at once or do a lot of circuits and then send them to the cert if you can only send the results one at a time then its a pile of expensive c$$p no doubt i will send in back if it doesnt please. I also cant send results one at a time from downstairs to the cert upstairs is the bluetooth technology that poor . The instructions for downloading are very vague or maybe its me being impatient i have other questions about subtracting ze but thats for another time bring back my good old 1502​
When I used bluetooth with the MFT1553 I found the performance was dependant on the quality of the bluetooth receiver or dongle. The Belkin F8TO17 dongle gave the best performance and reliable transfer of data to my laptop. The result has to be sent after each test. As you have found multiple downloading does not work, you either get nothing or a load of gobbledy gook.
You might be interested in an earlier thread on this subject:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/i...27906-anyone-using-megger-1553-bluetooth.html

richy3333 i havent found the problem with wylex rcbo's it was with wylex rcds, still no updated software yet, these testers are probably going to be returned as they arent really any use to us as they are. Been to have a look at some others yesterday, so the wheels are in motion. shame because it did look promising at the start.

Apologies because I am late updating the thread about my situation.

Megger were brilliant in helping me and resolving the issues I had. It wasn't a faulty tester at all, but just my use of the machine and interpretation of the readings I was getting. 5 minutes on the phone with their technical department and a couple of emailed crib sheets and I was sorted.

Software wise I had a long telephone call with Meggers software developers (2 hours). They got me sorted too. They remotely accessed my laptop and found that a number of settings had to be changed on the laptop. They did also mention that bluetooth technology (nothing to do with the MFT or software) only works over a certain distance and will be inhibited by walls/barriers etc. I still haven't had time to review Powersuite software (too busy with work), but have to say I was mightily impressed with Megger and the Powersuite guys.

I also used the Ra tester on the 1730 last week to test 2 dozen TT installations on caravans and it worked a dream :)

BTW whilst I have been testing I did my continuity as normal but then later on tried the auto calculation R1 + R2 function and always seem to get 0? I'll try and email Megger this week to find out why this is the case...

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

No, the clamp is extra. Hell...............something for nothing.....????

I've been using one and I really like it. Granted it does "wurrrrr and clunk" doing the two prong ZS but I think age has made me patient. The layout seems well thought out and the straps let it rest nicely on your belly. The ZS and PFC flash up at the same time on the screen which is good, and generally all of the usual customiseable features you expect from Megger MFT's are present. Probably the acid test is that the two 1730's are always first out of the workshop in the morning.

Thumbs up here!

H

Never fear guys, it's all explained here..

[video=youtube;y0lwdJb9_-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0lwdJb9_-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

FFS!!

Makes me realise how good I am with a whiteboard.

Dude, if you are a member of this forum pm me and I will give you some pointers.

A couple of errors in the vid too.

That's 13 minutes of my life I can't claw back :(

As you say Widdler, several mistakes.

Can someone tell him that ZE is actually Ze.

He then refers to Zs as an external earth fault loop impedance.

Plus there is no requirement to put his R1+R2 calculation in brackets because in the example shown it is a simple maths addition and not part of a longer formula.

He shows how to measure the Ze incorrectly also. No mention of isolating the installation and removing the earth cable to avoid any parallel paths etc.

Can this guy stan still for 1 second?

ZS should be measured with the bonding in place because it can have a significant effect on the measured reading, especially in the case of TT installations. What's the beef with simply measuring the R1+R2. You will have the conductors and CPC already removed to perform other tests like "ring continutiy" so it's hardly a mission! Or......in line with this you could simply pace the distance from the DB, guess the length and use the table "formerly known as 9A" to calculate.
As a side issue, probably 80% of all remedials in domestics in my experience are directly linked with ring final circuits. With bigger and cheaper DB's and peoples' change in electric usage habits rings are surley overkill, and I very rarely use them in new builds now.
Anyway..........Megger..........appreciate there was some extra room on the dials, but I think the kind of folk you are aiming this lazy "cheat" at are not the kind who would be splashing out for your products IMHO.

Harry

Reply to Megger Mft 1730 calculating R1&R2? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net