Discuss Megger MFT 1730 Calibration Fail in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, just got a bit of a shock this morning, turns out my Megger has failed calibration and needs to go back to Megger for a "fixed price" repair charge of £426.24 (inc VAT) and that's before it gets re calibrated!!
I had a feeling that it might still be in warranty but after checking found out it had just passed, 2 months.

I don't expect anything to last forever without some maintenance but for that kind of money I would expect a decent warranty on the work (2 years seems fair to me) but no, 3 months!

I cant see what the point of buying decent test equipment is at these kind of costs, I can buy a half decent one new for that money which is what I'm probably gonna do and try and repair the Megger myself.

I don't think ill ever bother buying what I thought was a decent one again.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any info on the web that might assist me, I'm assuming it might need a new circuit board, and what are the chances it might just be a dry joint or something like that?

I haven't had any problems with the functioning of the meter.

The calibration house has told me "The unit failed calibration on impedance tests, low on 1R" if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A one year warranty is provided as standard with the MFT's, although this is extended to three years if the product is registered on Megger's UK website and was purchased from an authorised UK distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
try and google a firm called the calibration centre, in stafford. they do repairs with calibration included. a lot cheaper than megger. phone them. afaik, they give you a cost before proceeding with a repair.

I've not heard many good things about this top of the range model to be honest.

Yes I have spoken to Megger, they did offer a cheaper price (just knocking off the calibration centres mark-up, which I don't actually begrudge them). They also confirmed the 90 warranty; its three years from new. I think I might have gone ahead if they offered a decent warranty. I will try the calibration centre. Thanks

Your covered by the consumer rights act 1979... this goes beyond any warranty and any item purchased must give a reasonable service life as expected of such equipment, if it had just expired through its warranty then you are still covered by this act, I had a washing replaced for free 2 yrs after its warranty ran out, this is why you should never buy extended warranty as you are already protected.

Last edited:
Yes, good points on the consumer rights act, I am in the process of consumer dispute with Vodafone over this exact point, so I will look into it, would be helpful if I knew exactly what has failed, gonna email the calibration company for a more thorough explanation and write a letter, mean time I might give that Dialog a go.

I had a meter mft1725 fail while working in Fiji. Managed to borrow another meter to get finished. Upon my return to NZ I contacted the NZ agents. Sent the unit to them and they looked at it. Ended up that they replaced the unit no charge to me at all.
We have a similar piece of consumer legislation here in NZ that makes warranties and extended warranties a waste of time. Basically if it is expensive then it had better last for a reasonable length of time repeated to other similar items.

never know you might be able to sell it on as faulty and someone could repair it
(guessing more find another one faulty and Mix and match the two)

what companies do with laptops (how i fixed mine :party:even managed to upgrade it)
my motherboard or CPU died (hard to check them without another CPU/Mobo around)
so brought a 2nd hand one (upgraded version of mine) put in my Screen/HDD/Ram and it worked ..Whooooooo

I am in the market for a multifunction tester. I had heard that Megger was a good brand but that you are paying for the label. Is Fluke better? I am yet to do my 17th Edition course and Part P and so I was hoping to get some good advice on what to buy and from where and what to avoid?

Personally I do like meggar equipment as I find it to be the most user friendly.
If I have to replace my current tester I'll probably go with a meggar.

And for reference Part P is just a document so there's not realy much to 'do' other than download it for free.

I am in the market for a multifunction tester. I had heard that Megger was a good brand but that you are paying for the label. Is Fluke better? I am yet to do my 17th Edition course and Part P and so I was hoping to get some good advice on what to buy and from where and what to avoid?
Are you going to do a C&G Inspection & Testing course? Might be worth waiting until after the course and make you're mind up then.

It might be good and that way he can use the test instrument on the course and the tutor should help to learn to use that test meter.
I know mine at a FE but I didn't take him up on it, I wished I had tho it always helps

Reply to Megger MFT 1730 Calibration Fail in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock