Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

megger mft1730

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by mswesty, Feb 23, 2012.

Discuss megger mft1730 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. mswesty

mswesty Regular EF Member

hi
    i priced a mft1730 today and the wholsaler said that theyre having problems with them and to buy somthing else?
    has anybody heard about this?
    cheers
    mike

2. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    save a few quid and buy a 1552/3.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

mines been for "errror 23" repair and when i phoned megger TS the girl seemed to know of this problem havent heard of any others within the firm going faulty
    possibly give testmeter a ring hes a forum sponser and will give an impartial view I think haveing seen some posts from him his number is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
    there is also a member "megger tsg" who seems to work for megger PM him he may be able to answer any concerens
    At present iv got a spare 1552 from the work and have been told to keep hold of it "just in case"
    I have my personal 1553 available for sale tho open to offers its hardly been used never abused not calibrated tho

5. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Mines in for erratic readings

6. oldtimer

oldtimer Trusted Advisor

So I will stick to my 1553 then

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiers1970

Kiers1970 Regular EF Member

My 1552 is giving me meither, wont test sometimes, have to reset it continually, batteries are fine , 11.5 v, I'll try new batteries of course, anyione else had similar problems. TBH a piece of kit this expensive shoud give years of trouble free service. Not impressed.

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    hmm, my 1552 is spot on on all functions except continuity. £300+ for megger to repair, so just purchased a megger BM401. checks out on cal. check, but going to get it calibrated soon as. your problem could be leads. try your MFT with someone else's to verify before spending £££££. on repair.

9. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

My original 1552 works failed it kept coming up 400v with no leads ect connected its away for repair and a couple of others within the firm have went BUT we use them constantly doing PIRs Still id expect a lifetime from £600-£700s bit of kit so long as its not abused and calibrated
    as it is Iv not even had my 1720 4 months ffs doesnt bode well

10. oldtimer

oldtimer Trusted Advisor

Funny how Megger rushed this meter out with the selling point of no you can do a 2 wire Zs test at a light switch and all the schemies sat on their hands

11. jamminuk

jamminuk Guest

Hi, Does anyone know where i can find the serial number on the Megger 1730 doesn't seem to be on the case, have looked inside the battery compartment not there either???? Maybe on my invoice

12. Steve65

Steve65 Guest

Take the batteries out and there's a bar code label. The number on it is the serial number.

13. jamminuk

jamminuk Guest

Doh!!!! Thanks mate, contacted Megger re: the tripping rcd's whilst doing fault loop problem, and they're asking for all my details and serials numbers

Thanks again

14. StuSpiers

StuSpiers Guest

Used megger all my working life.

- Bought a 1700 seires.

Will be buying fluke from now on in.

Nuff said.

15. Guitarist

Guitarist Trusted Advisor

I'm on my 2nd 1730. First one gave erratic results so got it swapped. New one is fine as long as I don't expect accurate results on 2-wire no-trip. According to Megger this is fine, as you don't need results to be particularly accurate with an RCD in the system :)
    3-wire no-trip, and high current tests are accurate so I'm happy overall. Just wish Megger would make prospective buyers and existing owners more aware of the limitations, rather than waiting for us all to complain.