Discuss Megger with no serial number in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

ketanc

Hi everyone

I am posting on behalf of a colleague of mine -- he has just purchased a MFT1552 (used), which appears to be working just fine, however there is no serial number label at the bottom of the unit.

He has contacted Megger who he thinks are trying to scaremonger him into having the unit calibrated with them (probably for ridiculous money) and then they will issue a "new" serial number. Incidentally, the unit doesn't look like it's been tampered with, however there's no reason for there not to be a serial number, which is why we're a little baffled.

Is there anywhere else on the unit where he could find the serial number? If no, does the unit have to have a manufacturer serial number, or can the organisation that will be calibrating the unit issue a serial number unique to them and document it for him on the certificate to verify it's traceability?

Thanks all for your help in advance!

I have checked the battery compartment, there is no barcode in there. Unfortunately, no old certificate was provided by the chap he bought it from.

Hum..... bought it 2nd hand, no serial numbers, no calibration certificate.

Sounds like its hot.

I think your "friend" needs to go down the megger route and get a calibration no plus a serial number. If it hasn't a serial number how is he intending on completing his certs N/A??

Murdoch, I thought the same thing as you when he told me!

He isn't planning on putting it into service without a serial number/calibration if that's what you mean! He just wants to know the right way to go about having it serial numbered/calibrated/checked before he starts to use it :)

"my mate" Don't make me laugh. He has brought stolen good, maybe you oh sorry your "friend" should contact the seller and tell him its no good without a serial number and that either he gives you, sorry your friend your money back or that he gets a serial number and calibration cert at their cost.

And when he sends it back to Megger they will give it a new serial number for second hand equipment, more likely interogate the firmware/software and find out the original number and find out if it is stolen.

And when he sends it back to Megger they will give it a new serial number for second hand equipment, more likely interogate the firmware/software and find out the original number and find out if it is stolen.

Might even have a tracker in it , maybe someone will come and collect it for him!

I bought a used megger off fleabay a few years back and when it arrived it had no serial no, when I took it to a local calibration place they calibrated it and scribed a new random serial no onto it. Elecsa didn't bat an eyelid when I got assessed.

Ste

It doesn't have to be a serial number we use our company asset ID's and NOT the serial number
the serial number is requested on the certification forms?? sounds nicked to me, some poor flucker has had his kit pinched and the number scratched out, everyone should keep a record of test results for it to prove it is working and enter the serial number in a file to keep an eye on results so they know it is working correctly, the removal of the number just proves it is nicked, disgusting IMO, child molesters and thieves are the same and deserve the death penalty.

Make you right about thieves. But you can put your own serial number on test sheet it just has to match a tester. In fact the label fell off one of my testers the other day , so it can happen.
Still like you I reckon that tester is a bit moody.
I never buy second hand tools. But some of the markets are full of battery drills etc.

If you ever send it back to the manufacturers they can trace its identity regardless of missing sticker they will then re-issue the same number or assign a new number to it and data log it in their files if they check if its stolen and it is then you'll lose it and get a visit from the local constabulary .... the ID number is just a unique number to the MFT that can be connected to any calibration certs thus prove the unit has regular calibration and readings should be reliable to an extent.

Send it for calibration to an independent firm ask for a serial no' to be assigned and everything is good.

I'd contact the seller and query its origin and say you are having it calibrated by the manufacturers and they have ID'd the units original serial from the software upload... tell them they are asking questions on how you got it....... the sellers response expose whether its nicked or not.... they will fob you off at every chance.

If you ever send it back to the manufacturers they can trace its identity regardless of missing sticker they will then re-issue the same number or assign a new number to it and data log it in their files if they check if its stolen and it is then you'll lose it and get a visit from the local constabulary .... the ID number is just a unique number to the MFT that can be connected to any calibration certs thus prove the unit has regular calibration and readings should be reliable to an extent.

Send it for calibration to an independent firm ask for a serial no' to be assigned and everything is good.

I'd contact the seller and query its origin and say you are having it calibrated by the manufacturers and they have ID'd the units original serial from the software upload... tell them they are asking questions on how you got it....... the sellers response expose whether its nicked or not.... they will fob you off at every chance.

I think it should be a condition of sale on ebay that serial numbers are displayed in the item details, it's not as though they are not aware of the theft situation.

I think it should be a condition of sale on ebay that serial numbers are displayed in the item details, it's not as though they are not aware of the theft situation.

What? eBay lose money by reducing their listings? NEVER! I bought a game for my kids and got a rip-off copy, no joy from the seller so went to eBay, Sellers feedback was over 5000, at 50p per listing they'd made a bomb off him, they never did a thing until I suggested they were handling stolen goods. THEN they banned him. They're bigger thieves than any scammers!!!

Would be nice but half the tools i test have had serial numbers worn off ... it hard to proof but with Meters a calibration history should be supplied as proof of previous owner... but eBay wouldn't tailor make rules for certain items they couldn't possibly amongst the millions of sales ....

Reply to Megger with no serial number in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net