Discuss Melted motor terminal post? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Interesting it is running in star as that could cause issues if it is not running up to full speed and is not cooling. Would need to see the rating plate.

I was thinking the same.

Also, That's been wired for Delta at some point due to six wires brought upto motor terminals.
I reckon that's what they mean when they are (incorrectly) saying it has been de-rated to 55kw as they have bridged it into star permanently back at the starter.

I think it could have been started when it was 110kW using a LRS (liquid resistance starter) that would explain the Star configuration.It was then probably upgraded to the soft starter but motor was not changed to Delta.

Thanks, motor expert came out this morning and confirmed the motor should only be in Delta! And that it is a 110KW motor!

However he tested the coils again himself and confirmed the motor was ok. When I left him he was going to look for a new terminal block and replace that.

Now my problem is....

Its running off a 105KVA generator.

The soft starter is only rated to 55KW.

25mm SWA running to the motor.

Along with the bypassed overload.

I think to get this rectified correctly the customer is going to need to dip his hand into his wallet.....

Thanks for getting back, did sound odd running in star.

As a further curve ball, I had the motor briefly running earlier, after initial start up, and no material in the mill the motor was pulling 20A in L1 and L3, but 200A in L2!!

This would explain the generator going into overload.

Im thinking possibly the soft starter is buggered from overload?

I also need to sort the lack of overload, does anyone know what this overload system is called? The L3 has melted, so someone has just bypassed it! (it also needs a tidy up!!)

Melted motor terminal post? IMG_2242.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

It doesn't even look like the O/L is used. Dependent on the type of soft start, the O/L protection may well be built into that.

Have you measured that all of the windings are balanced, through the cable to the motor?

If they are, then yes the SS is likely kaput.

That looks like it! I was wondering if the base was a generic part the overload connects to, but looks like its all 1 unit.

It doesn't even look like the O/L is used. Dependent on the type of soft start, the O/L protection may well be built into that.

Have you measured that all of the windings are balanced, through the cable to the motor?

If they are, then yes the SS is likely kaput.

Its an ABB soft start which does not have overload protection, the L3 has been bypassed from the overload.

The motor is balanced.

So looks like the soft start is ----ed, in which case I am going to get a 110KW soft start.

Im thinking of going for one of the Schneider digital soft starts which has built in overload:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7106451/?cm_mmc=aff2-_-uk-_-octopart-_-7106451

Going to have a chat with my wholesaler in a bit to see how fast he can get one and for a better price than RS!

So looks like the soft start is ****ed, in which case I am going to get a 110KW soft start.

Im thinking of going for one of the Schneider digital soft starts which has built in overload:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7106451/?cm_mmc=aff2-_-uk-_-octopart-_-7106451

Going to have a chat with my wholesaler in a bit to see how fast he can get one and for a better price than RS!

What is the motors duty cycle? (How many times an hour does it start and stop?).

Does it start under fully loaded in normal situations?

You may need to look at a SS the next frame size up 132KW. Either of these will not fit in the existing control panel looking at the size.

If you start installing a new control panel, you're going to take responsibility for the design and safety of the machine. Just to let you know this.

This will involve a CE declaration.

What is the motors duty cycle? (How many times an hour does it start and stop?).

Does it start under fully loaded in normal situations?

You may need to look at a SS the next frame size up 132KW. Either of these will not fit in the existing control panel looking at the size.

If you start installing a new control panel, you're going to take responsibility for the design and safety of the machine. Just to let you know this.

This will involve a CE declaration.

Thanks, Its pretty much started once a day and then just runs all day.
Its always started empty, so the motor can spin freely.

TBH I don't think I will get any 110KWn soft start to fit in the existing enclosure, so its going to need a bigger enclosure anyway.

The sizing of SS catches a lot of inexperienced people out, but if only starting once an hour empty you should be ok with a 110KW frame size.

You will also likely need semi conductor fuses to protect the SS to meet manufacturers installation instructions.

I haven't seen the application, so I can't offer any in depth advice.

Reply to Melted motor terminal post? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock