Discuss melted plug issue condenser dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sanitygonemad

Hi guy

been using an (Status) extention lead to run are tumble dryer due to the mains socket just being out of reach every time we use the tumble dryer it is plugged into a double socket fully unwound and only has the tumble dryer pluged into it the other spare has a serged protected 4 way muti plug strip powering a 50 liter fish tank small filter, 100w heater, light, air pump when my partner went to connect up the extention lead and tumble dryer as its disconect when not in use she reported a spark and the extention lead plug is slightly melted
Upload the image directly to the thread: The most awesome images on the Internet - http://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/KfTFm6p
Upload the image directly to the thread: The most awesome images on the Internet - http://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/V6XV4MN

View attachment 35256

View attachment 35257

i know of the dangers of overloading and felt safe as it was unwounded and it being the only thing plugged into the extention lead was it over loaded

possibly due to a poor contact between the fuse and it's carrier.

solution... fit a longer flex to the tumble dryer.

Funny we have just got a new drier, came with moulded plug, I put a new socket in garage for it but when on full heat the plug runs very warm. Agree with above poor fuse contact, that and probably a poor quality plug. Take the bit off paper off it next time.

I was running a 3kW convector heater yesterday for about half an hour to burn the dust off it, and I actually burned my leg on the L and N pins afterwards, they were red hot. Wouldn't want to run it as a sustained load, think I'd hard wire it in!

I was running a 3kW convector heater yesterday for about half an hour to burn the dust off it, and I actually burned my leg on the L and N pins afterwards, they were red hot. Wouldn't want to run it as a sustained load, think I'd hard wire it in!
Use an MK plug and socket and it won't get so hot!

That looks quite specifically due to poor contact in the fuse clips, or possibly a slack terminal screw. Not all plugs are created equal and the basic ones, although technically suitable for purpose, tend to have fuse clips that are only just strong enough to made proper contact. If they are loosened even very slightly, e.g. while wiring or changing the fuse, they will no longer grip the fuse well enough and this kind of overheating will result. Of course even the best plugs can have their fuse clips bent or damaged to this critical point where the appliance still works but the resistance is high enough to cause overheating.

I don't recommend connecting sustained heavy loads to basic extension cables as the socket contacts are often likewise only just good enough, however here the extension lead socket does not seem to have been a cause as there is no melting of the plug pin insulation. The heat from the plug might have internally damaged the plastic of the socket though.

Reply to melted plug issue condenser dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net