Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss MEM 3-phase board in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hightower

hightower Guest

Morning all,

As the regulars know, I work in a school part-time (while sparking part-time), and I'm going to do a bit work for them - they need power dropping in for 11 PCs. No problem, 2 RFCs should do to share the leakage currents of the machines, bit of dado trunking round the room, RFC covers the additional earth return path needed, job's a good 'un.

What's more, there's a DB in the room too so the run is an absolute doddle. But where I need help is with finding a suitable RCBO for the board. It's a MEM 3-phase board, (see attachment), and the following ways are spare:

Y1 (but as you can see, the dual module of B1 sits in this space)
    Y5 (but again, the dual module of R5 sits in this space)
    R6
    Y6 (protective device installed, but not in use)
    B6

There-in lies my problem. If I'm to use these BS3871 devices I need four spare ways, and I only have three. So I've got two possible solutions:

1) Somebody suggests a single module RCBO that I can use in this board (opening the board up, there's not a lot of head space between the breakers and the enclosure, so really not sure this is a solution.

2) B5 is only feeding a solitary CCTV camera, it's wired in 2.5mm and on a 6A. I could drop this cable in with say, B4 - Alarm Spur in Corridor, or any number of 6A breakers feeding lights.

So I guess option 1 would be my preference, but does anybody see a problem with option 2 should option 1 not be feasible?

Also, a sub-question, just out of interest. Every lighting circuit from this board has 2.5mm down as the cable size - I'm guessing they've done this to account for voltage drop on longer runs. Question is, why have they wired the CCTV in 2.5mm too - it's literally 3m from the board.

View attachment 35354

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    option 2. shift the CCTV over to another way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hightower

hightower Guest

Thanks Tel. I'm thinking a Type B breaker too would be fine instead of the Type C that is sitting spare. I know the PCs will have a higher startup current but there's only 6 per circuit and I can't see them knocking a Type B off.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

After searching, it seems you can't get Type B of these....

5. gizmo spartan

gizmo spartan EF Member

Have you read up on bs3871 breakers?

Not sure I would want to use them.

6. hightower

hightower Guest

I'm not sure what you're referring to with them - you got any material I can read through?

7. gizmo spartan

gizmo spartan EF Member

8. hightower

hightower Guest

Well I understand they are obsolete but I thought you were referring to something dangerous about them.... just because they are discontinued doesn't mean a safe, usable circuit cannot be designed with them.

I'm not going to upgrade a whole DB just to stick a few more sockets in a room.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gizmo spartan

gizmo spartan EF Member

10. Rosco

Rosco Electrician's Arms

I've been told before not to put rcbos on sockets if they are designated for computer circuits only due to the possible high earth leakage

11. hightower

hightower Guest

School stipulates it.

12. Rosco

Rosco Electrician's Arms

Fair enough, I'm only going by previous when doing office fit outs

13. hightower

hightower Guest

The values for maximum Zs aren't listed in the current regulations, but that doesn't mean BS 7671 frowns upon their use. BS 7671 basically states that an overcurrent protective device or an RCD may be used for fault protection under ADS (which this BS 3871 would tick the box for) and that the characteristics of the protective devices and the circuit impedances shall fulfil the following requirement: Zs x Ia <= Uo

Zs = 0.7ohms for the sake of argument. My design tells me it would be far lower though.
    Ia = 224A if I've read the table correctly

0.7 x 224 = 157 which is lower than our Uo of 230v. Looks compliant to me, unless I'm missing a regulation that specifically bans their use?

EDIT: Sorry, working off a slightly older regs. I know BYB introduces Cmin too, but even with this factor applied it will be compliant.

14. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Cant you take another sub board from the main board?

15. hightower

hightower Guest

I could probably take a sub board from this board, but we'd still have the same debate about reusing BS 3871s to protect the sub board circuit. I can't take another sub board from the main main board if that's what you mean.

It's not an issue to remove that 6A circuit and then I have 4 spare ways - which is what I need. In fact, the CCTV camera is supplies is dated and it'll be on a todo list somewhere anyway. When it does get replaced it will be with a POE IP camera, so moving it off temporarily isn't a major problem.

Was just hoping members could recommend a replacement breaker that fits, but I've done a fair bit of research today and it seems we're now up to MEM3 boards which offer no backwards compatibility.

Has anyone got any of these devices that I could buy off you?