Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss MEM elcb with 30mA ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. leep82

leep82 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    8D07CD88-A331-4E6B-87B3-F25348F2FEB4.jpeg hi all got a little kitchen refurb that im undertaking pretty simple stuff moving sockets and such. However upon looking at the DB which is quite an old MEM type. The main switch is a 80A 100mA elcb ( will include picture ). Without recommending a board change any suggestions on how i can provide 30mA protection for my proposed works.

Is there anything on the market that can retrofit this DB. Ive had it suggested by another electrician to look an ebay as i may be able to find an 80A 30mA type although more than likely this will have been used.

Thanks in advance

2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Is that acting as a main switch for the whole property?

3. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

If board can't be swapped you could add a separate RCD for the altered circuits. If it is 2 or more circuits though I would swap the board as it won't end up cheaper or better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

You will be hard pushed to find a 30ma main switch rcd for that as they were commonly 100ma but they were available. If you have spare ways you can get used rcd/mcb units which are two module. Search Memshield 1 as they are often referred to and you will find them. Do not go retrofitting as an option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Brand new Kitchen and all that goes with it, yet quibbling over a board change, I reckon by the time you will have faffed around trying to get something to fit, it would have been better and cheaper to swap the board, you're an Electrician so it's only going to cost the price an Amendment 3 CU, you have 2391 so testing wont be a problem, a better job, every ones a winner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Yes

7. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    100% agree although the customer doesnt see that. They see it as only needing a few sockets moving and think im trying it on when i recommend a board change. As long as i can achieve compliance with the work ive carried out im happy. I can document my recommendations on my test results and have a chat with the customer about what we can do in the future.

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Did you not advise them of this issue before you started .....

2 choices - RCD outside existing enclosure

or

replace CU

with the later as the best option .....

As a relatively new SE person, you need to get better at giving clients news that will add costs ..................

9. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Fortunately i havnt started the job yet and no price has been agreed/discussed, hence part of the reason in coming on here to ask advice. I knew when i looked at the job that i would have to do somthing about this.

Jumping to conclusions doesnt help anyone.

10. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

How many altered circuits will require RCD protection ?

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Nor does starting threads without all the salient information.:)

And your opening post does state

"hi all got a little kitchen refurb that im undertaking"

12. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

How many circuits does the proposed new work entail

13. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Just one ring final circuit

14. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    If it wasnt the first time youd jumped to a conclusion at one of my posts id be inclined to ignore it. Its a shame really because youre obviously a respected member with some very good advice. Some times though it seems you like to shout people down

15. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Is there one spare way so you can fit the two module mcb/rcd.