Discuss MEM elcb with 30mA ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
MEM elcb with 30mA ? 8D07CD88-A331-4E6B-87B3-F25348F2FEB4 - EletriciansForums.net hi all got a little kitchen refurb that im undertaking pretty simple stuff moving sockets and such. However upon looking at the DB which is quite an old MEM type. The main switch is a 80A 100mA elcb ( will include picture ). Without recommending a board change any suggestions on how i can provide 30mA protection for my proposed works.

Is there anything on the market that can retrofit this DB. Ive had it suggested by another electrician to look an ebay as i may be able to find an 80A 30mA type although more than likely this will have been used.

Thanks in advance

Is that acting as a main switch for the whole property?

You will be hard pushed to find a 30ma main switch rcd for that as they were commonly 100ma but they were available. If you have spare ways you can get used rcd/mcb units which are two module. Search Memshield 1 as they are often referred to and you will find them. Do not go retrofitting as an option.

View attachment 40762 hi all got a little kitchen refurb that im undertaking pretty simple stuff moving sockets and such. However upon looking at the DB which is quite an old MEM type. The main switch is a 80A 100mA elcb ( will include picture ). Without recommending a board change any suggestions on how i can provide 30mA protection for my proposed works.

Is there anything on the market that can retrofit this DB. Ive had it suggested by another electrician to look an ebay as i may be able to find an 80A 30mA type although more than likely this will have been used.

Thanks in advance
Brand new Kitchen and all that goes with it, yet quibbling over a board change, I reckon by the time you will have faffed around trying to get something to fit, it would have been better and cheaper to swap the board, you're an Electrician so it's only going to cost the price an Amendment 3 CU, you have 2391 so testing wont be a problem, a better job, every ones a winner.

Last edited:
Brand new Kitchen and all that goes with it, yet quibbling over a board change, I reckon by the time you will have faffed around trying to get something to fit, it would have been better and cheaper to swap the board, you're an Electrician so it's only going to cost the price an Amendment 3 CU, you have 2391 so testing wont be a problem, a better job, every ones a winner.
100% agree although the customer doesnt see that. They see it as only needing a few sockets moving and think im trying it on when i recommend a board change. As long as i can achieve compliance with the work ive carried out im happy. I can document my recommendations on my test results and have a chat with the customer about what we can do in the future.

Did you not advise them of this issue before you started .....

2 choices - RCD outside existing enclosure

or

replace CU

with the later as the best option .....

As a relatively new SE person, you need to get better at giving clients news that will add costs ..................

Did you not advise them of this issue before you started .....

2 choices - RCD outside existing enclosure

or

replace CU

with the later as the best option .....

As a relatively new SE person, you need to get better at giving clients news that will add costs ..................
Fortunately i havnt started the job yet and no price has been agreed/discussed, hence part of the reason in coming on here to ask advice. I knew when i looked at the job that i would have to do somthing about this.

Jumping to conclusions doesnt help anyone.

Nor does starting threads without all the salient information.:)

And your opening post does state

"hi all got a little kitchen refurb that im undertaking"
If it wasnt the first time youd jumped to a conclusion at one of my posts id be inclined to ignore it. Its a shame really because youre obviously a respected member with some very good advice. Some times though it seems you like to shout people down

Is there one spare way so you can fit the two module mcb/rcd.

Is there one spare way so you can fit the two module mcb/rcd.
No board is full. It would really benefit from a new DB but i cant force it on the customer and if i can comply another way then i will. I will recommend an upgrade and may well be surprised if they turn round and give it the go ahead .

Rcd in separate enclosure for now then unless the cabling does not require additional rcd protection due to its installation method then rcd sockets although in the long run just one rcd at the board is more cost effective.

If it wasnt the first time youd jumped to a conclusion at one of my posts id be inclined to ignore it.

Not shouting you down ........... you need to improve your posting skills.

This one would have been far better, if you hadn't included saying "that I'm undertaking"

Not shouting you down ........... you need to improve your posting skills.

This one would have been far better, if you hadn't included saying "that I'm undertaking"
and again “ you need to” this and
“ you need to get better at “. Christ mate its a forum improving my posting skills isnt high on my list of priorities. Most people seem to have been able to pick the bones out of what i was getting at, lets leave it at that

Reply to MEM elcb with 30mA ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock