Discuss Metal blanks in AMD 3 boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I hate metal blanks there I said it I simply do not see the point the cover should stay closed itself and if there were an internal fire the mcbs would melt and the fire would get no further than the metal lid what about earthing are you supposed to drill and bolt an earth onto the blank? Scrape away the paint on the Cu and crush the ends of the blank to ensure good continuity?
I also see no point in a metal board if your going to gland tails into it with a plastic gland or use the huge gaping rear entries without intumescent Sealant round the cables like 99.5% of sparks do.... and even at that the cables themselves are not fireproof !!!!

I hate customers with all there daft requests, they should let me come around and decide what needs doing and then issue an invoice for the work i wanted to do. how dare they request something of there own choosing
Well, it has to be to their taste. :p

metal lid what about earthing are you supposed to drill and bolt an earth onto the blank? Scrape away the paint on the Cu and crush the ends of the blank to ensure good continuity?

I have recently see some manufacturer do just. Isn't life strange (Moody Blues link), that its not just us mere mortals that get our knickers in a twist over 421.1.201, but also some big boy manufacturers. Clear as mud.

Well, it has to be to their taste. :p
Im the professional, if i tell them they need a new rcbo amd3 consumer unit, half a dozen downlights, a couple of security lights then they should accept my opinion and have the work done. i dont care for the fact they only asked me round to change the bulb in the bathroom light!

I don't like sockets/switches with pathetic shallow terminals, beetroot,garlic,mayonnaise,seafood,liver,kidney or tongue. Nothing wrong with a nice piece of cod or haddock though Tel. :D

I thought the metal boards where not to contain it but to stop the board from melting and causeing more problems like dripping plastic onto the carpet and setting that on fire.

You are overthinking it. It's not supposed to contain a fire, it's just not supposed to actually burn itself. Why on earth would you want to earth a blank FFS?
Cause it’s metal... what if a cable were to somehow get chafed on it and it became live could you personally guarantee that the blank would provide a sufficient path to earth through all the paint of the cover etc to disconnect the circuit? But that wasn’t the point the point was if there is a metal lid why the F*** do you need a metal blank it’s not going to burn any harder or provide anymore fuel than the breakers the grommits the tails glands etc etc etc
I don’t have my BYB to hand as it’s in my office but it seems the way the regs are worded it intends to contain fire until it burns itself out because whilst at the same time preventing devastating spread of the fire
I’m sure there is a part that says something like any any other reasonable (precautions or something)to prevent the spread of fire from the containment or something along those lines...

Reply to Metal blanks in AMD 3 boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net