Discuss Metallic pipe with push fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Virtualcom13at

If a metallic pipe work has push fit type fittings that dont provide electrical continuity what should be done

A=Leave it as it is
B=Increase the pipe size
C=Bridge with a brown bonding conductor
D=Bridge with a G/Y bonding conductor

I was thinking A ?
Thanks

Last one then i can get my self in the workshop and try to put into practise what i have learnt in the past two months of studying.
just one step closer to never picking up a paint brush again.

There is insufficient information given to provide an answer.

Thats word for word what the TMA question reads.

I did wonder what material the push fittings where made from but as it says dont provide electrical continuity i guessed the fitting must be of plastic.
I dont no maybe im talking rubbish.

I'd agree with Jud as well. The reason being is that any fault current finding the water pipes would not be carried away (and therefore not tripping the mcb/fuse/rcd) and not finding earth (MET) at the cu hence the need to bridge the plastic push fit. An experiment was carried out in a Chris Kitcher testing book. He had two short pieces of copper pipe with a push fit connecting them, filled the pipe with water and put 230V on one end and tested the other end. Results showed only 3mA (0.003A) was conducted through the water. Just so you know why we bridge plastic push fittings. Any more questions, I can answer these whilst Telectrix is on another thread :)

Last edited:
have to agree with jud and paul m on what the answer would be, but wirepuller is correct as the question does not stipulate whether or not the pipework is extraneous. so the question as it stands is unanswerable.

Unless the pipe is being used AS the bonding conductor, why would you wish to assist the distribution of fault voltages onto sections of pipework which because of the high resistance of water are, in effect, isolated sections?Wirepuller is right, the question as it stands can't be answered but I'll bet Mr Kitcher isn't advocating linking across push joints on pipework that isn't being used as the actual bonding conductor.

I'm afraid Mr Kitcher does and has a nice photo in his book of him doing it. It's things like this that confuse people. I know there's a few mistakes in his books but these are what people use to pass tricky exams.

Who is this mr Kitcher he sounds like a man who knows. whats his book called??? as im going to be studying this possibly for the next two years and then working and learning for the rest of my working life i might as well get more books to add to my collection.

I'm afraid Mr Kitcher does and has a nice photo in his book of him doing it. It's things like this that confuse people. I know there's a few mistakes in his books but these are what people use to pass tricky exams.
I remember seeing the picture but again, I'm certain that this will be where the pipe IS the bonding conductor, check it out if you can Paul, I'll not be able to see the book until Monday.

I'll dig the book out and have a look for you IQ, interested myself. Have you had a look at the op's other question on the other thread?

In Kitcher's testing book it is bridging a plastic push fit when the pipe is being used as the bonding conductor. May be that should be in the question? Otherwise do nothing. Good old C&G making things clear as mud yet again :)

In Kitcher's testing book it is bridging a plastic push fit when the pipe is being used as the bonding conductor. May be that should be in the question? Otherwise do nothing. Good old C&G making things clear as mud yet again :)
Yes, that's what I thought it should be.

If a metallic pipe work has push fit type fittings that dont provide electrical continuity what should be doneA=Leave it as it isB=Increase the pipe sizeC=Bridge with a brown bonding conductorD=Bridge with a G/Y bonding conductor.
So we are all wrong because it does not state in the question what the pipe work has in relation to earthing? There should be another option E= ask the plumber, its his mess ;)

Reply to Metallic pipe with push fittings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock