Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Meter in reverse

Discussion in 'Solar PV Forum' started by digital48, Feb 19, 2012.

Discuss Meter in reverse in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. digital48

digital48 Regular EF Member

The disc in my import meter, an old one with a mileometer style display plus two small, red dials, is currently running backwards in the bright sunshine. The red 1/10 dial is also in reverse, but the numbers on the mileometer section appear to be creeping forwards. Is this possible? I would have thought that they would also run backwards or at least remain stationary.

2. darkwood

darkwood Who's changing my Avatar? Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Its plausable ive used gearing systems on large machines that run 1 direction only regardless of motor rotation, and it would make it harder to cheat the meter in your case.

3. babba

babba Regular EF Member

Happens on old meters, dont tell your energy company..

4. Earthstore

Earthstore Guest

If your meter is running backwards, and the dails are runnuing backwards too, you have an obligation to tell your energy provider, because it is fraud.
    You have changed your system by adding a PV system.
    Although some meters run backwards, the dials still go forwards, so while you are exporting, you may be paying for importing. (if you see what I mean)

How your energy provider would know you meter is running backwards, I am not sure, and as far as I am aware there has not been a test case in court yet, but I am sure you would not want to be the first one.

So the ball is in your court really.

I hope this helps.

5. TonyGreen

TonyGreen Guest

You lucky person, they will be in touch soon to change your meter.

In the meantime enjoy your ~56p per unit
    :santa_cheesy: Every sunny day is like Xmas day!

6. danesol

danesol Regular EF Member

OP - your situation sounds odd and I think it would be in your best interest to inform your energy provide..... its OK to watch the meter flying backwards but if the actual counter is going forward you maybe been charged for generation ???

Since the grid by us was pumped up to 240vAC my meter doesnt go backwards anymore, when we over produce it just stays stationery. I assume the "pressure" of the energy produced by our inverter just isnt strong enough to force it backwards ??

When the system was installed the grid was less than 230vAC and at this point the meter was flying backwards when over producing.....

7. digital48

digital48 Regular EF Member

Thanks, all, I've watched it all day (!) and there isn't a problem!