Discuss Meter install/replacement question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

canron

-
Reaction score
Currently have 3x100a cutouts, one going to a single phase meter, other two not in use.

Have been given a reasonable quote to change to 3 phase meter.

When they come out to change it will they add the extra live cables from cutout to meter and meter to isolator?Can't see how there's any other way but have been searching threads and seen meter installs refused because of too much insulation cut off the wires...why not just change them when it must be part of the job anyway?

The 3P meter might have to be moved from where the single phase one currently is if its much bigger...there's space on the board about 15 inches away but could that cause a problem?

Thanks

If it is British Gas doing it then anything could cause a problem.
You supply the tails from the meter to the isolator.

I have to provide pre made/labelled tails for going between the meter and isolator?

I was thinking anything before the isolator is always live so that would be done on a meter change...?

Currently have 3x100a cutouts, one going to a single phase meter, other two not in use.

Have been given a reasonable quote to change to 3 phase meter.

When they come out to change it will they add the extra live cables from cutout to meter and meter to isolator?Can't see how there's any other way but have been searching threads and seen meter installs refused because of too much insulation cut off the wires...why not just change them when it must be part of the job anyway?

The 3P meter might have to be moved from where the single phase one currently is if its much bigger...there's space on the board about 15 inches away but could that cause a problem?

Thanks

My advice is to check with said supplier what they are prepared to do .... I would be asking them to terminate the meter tails into an isolator.

the isolator is already a three phase one but with only one live either side.
There's a seal on the input/meter side

Supplier said meter fitter company will contact to book...will ask then..

Last edited:
If the supplier provided the isolator they should provide tails to live side, as it is sealed. If the existing tails aren't suitable then they should be changed too. That is how we used to work.

Reply to Meter install/replacement question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net