• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Meter tails & Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robo83

-
Reaction score
Had a look at a job last night and the customer had another electrician bury the cables with a bodge method of protection (they were planning on plastering over them as they are) (image attached). The tails run from the meter (out of view at bottom floor level), up into the ceiling and to the consumer unit which is just left of the image at high level.

I have advised the current method is not sufficient and was planning on chasing the wall 50mm and putting a plate over the top to offer the mechanical protection. Moving the CU closer is not an option due to the kitchen design.

Any other ideas to approach this?

Meter tails & Protection Meter Tails - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Had a look at a job last night and the customer had another electrician bury the cables with a bodge method of protection (they were planning on plastering over them as they are) (image attached). The tails run from the meter (out of view at bottom floor level), up into the ceiling and to the consumer unit which is just left of the image at high level.

I have advised the current method is not sufficient and was planning on burring 50mm and putting a plate over the top to offer the mechanical protection. Moving the CU closer is not an option due to the kitchen design.

Any other methods to approach this?

View attachment 39506
Burring????

They are just over 3m, I am changing the CU (the existing is a horror show) and I can move it right slightly.

That corner has integrated oven and microwave, I maybe able to get them on the back wall which means they are out of view (units not ceiling height).

That was a good idea, shame about all those little holes. Guess with the knives its in a kitchen, so surface might not be an option?

Leesparkykent has a link to some 3mm capping, designed for said pupose. PM him.

Edit; just remember to keep it out the way of the fixings for the wall units, or the kitchen fitter will blunt his drill!

That is an idea , I'll double check with customer as it could be an option.
That was a good idea, shame about all those little holes. Guess with the knives its in a kitchen, so surface might not be an option?

Leesparkykent has a link to some 3mm capping, designed for said pupose. PM him.

Edit; just remember to keep it out the way of the fixings for the wall units, or the kitchen fitter will blunt his drill!

I will have a look, thanks
Mechanical protection to meter tails or any cable is difficult to achieve as even the on site guide gives 3mm plate steel as an example but even this maybe insufficient against nail guns and the like
Not that your average home owner wields about a nail gun of course....,,,,,

you would think they have used a nail gun in here, or at least the previous electrician did. used it to shoot out all the blank plates and RCD from the CU (no RCD protection to anything
How about through the wall at the bottom and up the other side?? I think you did mention that couldn't be quite sure though.

I didnt consider this as the opposite wall is near the front door, but it maybe an option. Thanks

If he'd run them closer to the corner of the room, they would have been in a safe zone!
I'm sure he wasn't aware of such zones.

he could box them into the corner .

This is my first option at the moment, if i put them at the back corner they may fit behind the units.

Mechanical protection to meter tails or any cable is difficult to achieve as even the on site guide gives 3mm plate steel as an example but even this maybe insufficient against nail guns and the like
Not that your average home owner wields about a nail gun of course....,,,,,
I don't have an OSG but should this plate be earthed or is it just acting like armour. Can this suggestion be found in BS7671?

I don't have an OSG but should this plate be earthed or is it just acting like armour. Can this suggestion be found in BS7671?
It says nothing about earthing the plate.
I think if you did it would need soldering on as any other connection would need to be accessible for testing and inspection.
I think that an earth covering like that of armour of a swa ,it has to be acceptable as a cpc in its own right to be considered as earthed protection/containment.

Reply to Meter tails & Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back