Discuss Meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on installing meter tails >3 meters in length.
I've contacted northern power grid who said the tails where down to the electricity suppliers discretion.
Contacted the electricity supplier who didn't give a definite answer, basically do what you want!?

What's everyone's thoughts on installing meter tails >3 meters in length.
I've contacted northern power grid who said the tails where down to the electricity suppliers discretion.
Contacted the electricity supplier who didn't give a definite answer, basically do what you want!?
Buck passing at it's best then Ian

Precisely - who cares. What exactly is the point of the 3m guideline?
It is just that, a guideline, Electricians that provide tails to the CU know that.Our stance is as long as the meter is within 3m of the cut out, it's down to you lot. Connection will be given. (new installs)

This is the way I look at the topic
If I install a cable,its my responsibility to protect that cable

When it is permitted the supplier may allow me to rely on "their" fuse for (usually) a distance that has often been regarded as 3 metres max
The cut out fuse is a bonus to me the installer, not a item to be manipulated to omit my responsibility
Anything over 3 meters deserves a fuse of its own :cry::)

I on occasions have to deal with some chaps locally who won't connect to a switch fuse! This has caused me issues in the past!

I had a discussion only the other day with a guy from WPD's technical team who made it very clear that their cut-out is there to protect their equipment and not the meter tails. They allow tails of up to 3M (From the cut-out not the meter) to the CU to be "additionally protected" by that fuse, but anything beyond this must have additional protection and conform to BS7671. His words not mine, although it seems pretty simple to me.

Of course, we are then in the scenario, of having two fuse in series, probably of the same rating (or of a size not to allow suitable discrimination, without reducing supply for customer), and it will be the ---- of a coin which will go first.

Never really understood this scenario, even though eminent members have explained it several time before for me :)

Of course, we are then in the scenario, of having two fuse in series, probably of the same rating (or of a size not to allow suitable discrimination, without reducing supply for customer), and it will be the **** of a coin which will go first.
Never really understood this scenario, even though eminent members have explained it several time before for me :)

There is and never has been any requirement to provide discrimination with the supply fuse
I can't see it would matter in the very rare circumstance which one popped, they are going to be off supply anyway

The above assumes a single user supply rather than a multiple sub main installation

So apart from the DNO requiring such, does it actually make any difference, i.e. prevent the Main Fuse going before the switch fuse, or are we just on about complying (BS7671 et al)?

If there were a 100 amp fuse in the cut out and we had to account for discrimination,we would end up putting a 2 sizes lower fuse (63A )to have any chance

The client could become unhappy losing a fair portion of their capacity for no apparent benefit if that was the case

Reply to Meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock