Discuss meter training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have asked this question myself on previous occassion. I still have not got anywhere.

I think at the moment it looks like a phone to your local electrical distributor. In my case its western power. In other areas I would assume, southern Electrical ect.....

they are the ones who I think provide the training. Cant get any other advice from from suppliers like sweb, EDF blah blah, they only provide in house training to exisiting staff looking to move up.

Hope this helps, but if anyone has other advice or knows of another way let me know too. Been trying for far to long now. This could be my last hope. then I will give up.

I've always wanted to have that, just in case. I've searched on three occasions for the courses and got no where.

why you need a qual for changing a meter i don't know, doesn't get much easier does it?

I've always wanted to have that, just in case. I've searched on three occasions for the courses and got no where.

why you need a qual for changing a meter i don't know, doesn't get much easier does it?

Has to be through a company or a contractor usually to enable you to get it.

Same thing could be said for pat testing, why do you need a qual?? god knows but if youve not done metering before even if your a fully qual spark there not interested.

I thinks its more of an accreditation. Just something that says we have given you permission to break the seal.

There are companies that have it so all employees are covered via the company. Like PH Jones, or maybe Canaught.

In all fairness I have only ever fitted 1 x CT meter.

Please if anyone gets a heads up of where to go give me a shout. There is so much work right now fitting these smart metres. I want in..lol

I thinks its more of an accreditation. Just something that says we have given you permission to break the seal.

There are companies that have it so all employees are covered via the company. Like PH Jones, or maybe Canaught.

In all fairness I have only ever fitted 1 x CT meter.

Please if anyone gets a heads up of where to go give me a shout. There is so much work right now fitting these smart metres. I want in..lol

Its an authorisation, they assess you carrying out the job and then you have a wriiten test and they sign you off to do it. I'm a meter tech now and depending what area your in you have to get it at different places i.e scottish power, western power, yedl nedl etc.
Im self employed and the industrys booming with work. and its only gonna get bigger when they start teh domestic meters!!

Ok Davie, what area do you live in. whom did you goto, speak to for reference to get tested.

I live bristol, so assume western power. But I know there is meter work up and down the country, so if i want to work in say slough then I assume i need to be assessed by southern elec also.

Let me know what the test was, what you had to endur, how long it took, what costs were involved there abouts. its all worth while information.

cheers

nice one Davie thats the first time that anybody come up with any info what so ever will be onto yedl asap, by the way are there loads of you guys available cos nobody will give me a look in without experience, is there more to it than just fitting it and connecting tales

I spoke to Western Power today. They said they offer training at £220 + vat per day for 4 days.

Normally they said an employer sends employees to them for the meter training. You get trained in whole current meters single and 3 phase.

Its unusal for an individual to be asking for training. they said you should normally be emoployed by a company.

Here is the question. To Davie and anyone else already in the game

How do you get with companies like Meter Tec or BGlobal Plc. Or anyone else. They say you must have a permit to operate. There is no such thing. Mocopa Is an accreditation for signitories, like Bglobal, EDF, Western Power.........

You cant gain experience because you cant get in to start with.

Davie how did you become a contractor with any off these guys. Spread your system of who trained you, who payed for it. Who you work for now.

I still am none the wiser.

Cheers

Scottish and Southern energy are looking to take elecricians or semi skilled on and provide them the training in meter fitting. I havent got any contact numbers i read it in The Sun the other day. Hope thats help to someone

I spoke to Western Power today. They said they offer training at £220 + vat per day for 4 days.

Normally they said an employer sends employees to them for the meter training. You get trained in whole current meters single and 3 phase.

Its unusal for an individual to be asking for training. they said you should normally be emoployed by a company.

Here is the question. To Davie and anyone else already in the game

How do you get with companies like Meter Tec or BGlobal Plc. Or anyone else. They say you must have a permit to operate. There is no such thing. Mocopa Is an accreditation for signitories, like Bglobal, EDF, Western Power.........

You cant gain experience because you cant get in to start with.

Davie how did you become a contractor with any off these guys. Spread your system of who trained you, who payed for it. Who you work for now.

I still am none the wiser.

Cheers

Ok, I was with scottish power about 3 year ago, i seen the job in the paper then and went for it, thats where i started and got my permit, there is such thing as a permit and you need it to do this work otherwise they wouldnt ask for it!
All meter operators work under mocopa standards, to work for a meter operator they must be happy with you that you work to these standards as they get audited , but to be able to work as a meter engineer you must have authorisations for the DNO(distribution network operator) i.e scottish power or yedn nedl depending on area you are working in.

Its just like trying to find any other job in this country, nothing special to it, if you are lucky enough to see a job and get an interview and you get, there you go your in the game, yo then u cant just get your permit then bam your in there, you have to be tken on then trained.

just a case of keep an eye on the jobcentre mate, thats it!

nice one davie. I assumed you must have been employed by one of the signitories. There aint no other way of getting, no fast track route.

I have applied to umpteen companies. Sick really. Had a chance for interview, but could not get there through working away, ironik and they would not change the interview day shame really.

I understand the mocopa senario and all the rest. Its just that when jobs are advertised you need to have a PTO. Western power said there is no such thing, what they offer is training to operatives who work for a company under the guise of Mocopa. No Mocopa no training. But you cant get into the company to get the training. lose lose senario.

But hey with all this work you would think it easy to obtain employment in this field.

How do you find the salaries in this field.

there is a new company who carry out meter training to mocopa standards
called bsmart training solutions they cover everything from single phase through to ct, metering
anyone interested in joining the courses can contact steven finlay 07837413854.​

the "permit to opperate" refered to earlier is british gas's own terminology and cert. its not totally about technical/safety aspects, it involves how they want you to knock on the door and things

you have mocopa authorisations which are given by meter opperators, eg bglobal etc and then dno autorisations, eg scottish power and nedl.

some dno's are happy to have you pull the fuse out and do whatever you need to do with the meter and stick the fuse back in and seal up providing you have mocopa authorisation.

some dno's are fussy and can and will make you go on their training and authorisation course before they will even asses you.

some dno's just want to see you do a job under audit conditions and then they authorise you.

you cannot fit meters in scottish power (manweb and scotland) ce-electric (nedl/yedl) or western power without their specific dno authorisations. the rest, like UU or MEB are happy with a mocopa auth.

Reply to meter training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock