• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Metrel MI3000 Zs(rcd) tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience of metrel testers tripping an RCD when doing a Zs when you have the rcd no trip function on?

It happened the other day on my 2391 assessment but the college tester did the same so I assumed it was the college rig.

Just wired up a cooker for my niece, can't do a Zs. Tested the rcd and that's fine.

Pain in the rear.

We have five of them and have never had an issue trying to do no trip Zs.

Is the RCD part of a split load arrangement? It sometimes happens that existing and test earth currents add together to trip the RCD or RCBO, especially if the RCD is on the sensitive side. Have you ramp tested the RCD to see if it is on the sensitive side?

Last edited:
The RCBO might be on the sensitive side so worth ramp testing it to confirm that isn't a factor. It's also worth checking the tester on other circuits to see if it causes the issue with any RCD/RCBO as there is always the possiblity that it could be the problem or at least twards the extreme end of spec so will cause a trip most of the time.

You could always by pass the RCBO for the test by temporarly swapping it out for and MCB.

You need to change the meter settings so that it gives you the tripping current in mA as opposed to time (my old Metrel Eurotest XE has a ramp test option that allows for this). Most no testers no trip loop test will use a current of around 15mA so if the RCD is sensitive or your tester is for some reason pushing a current higher than 15mA then you are likely to end up with a trip.

Anyone had any experience of metrel testers tripping an RCD when doing a Zs when you have the rcd no trip function on?

It happened the other day on my 2391 assessment but the college tester did the same so I assumed it was the college rig.

Just wired up a cooker for my niece, can't do a Zs. Tested the rcd and that's fine.

Pain in the rear.
Are you using the three leads when taking the Zs?

Ha ha, I should never have read this thread. Today was downlight day. After 15 it feels like Groundhog Day but I still got the sore back, sore neck you name it. Anyway, part way through I'm up a ladder on the last downlight in a string. So I'm thinking now's the time for a "no trip Zs". Bleeping thing tripped the RCBO ... Swear I've never had that before. Re-set RCBO and no problem, trip - what trip? Jinxed I say, jinxed !!!

Ha ha, I should never have read this thread. Today was downlight day. After 15 it feels like Groundhog Day but I still got the sore back, sore neck you name it. Anyway, part way through I'm up a ladder on the last downlight in a string. So I'm thinking now's the time for a "no trip Zs". Bleeping thing tripped the RCBO ... Swear I've never had that before. Re-set RCBO and no problem, trip - what trip? Jinxed I say, jinxed !!!
bet your sausage fingers shorted something out the 1st time.

and 15 downlights? what did you do after morning coffee break?

Reply to Metrel MI3000 Zs(rcd) tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back