Discuss mft for upcoming 18th edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

With the upcoming 18th edition, is there anything new being added regarding testing that the current testers will be able to do? I'm looking to buy a new mft, and I want to check that today's market mfts will still do whats required for the 18th. Will earth fault loop impendance tests still be an acceptable means of testing earth electrodes in TT installations? are there any special equipment required for testing the rumoured arc fault detection devices? Will type B RCDs become more common with the car charging points etc?

Cheers
Ben

Some very interesting and valid questions.

....are there any special equipment required for testing the rumoured arc fault detection devices? .
To the best of my knowledge there isn't a generally available tester for arc fault detection devices and no MFT on the market with that test facility.

No doubt all the current ones will be unpacked in the factories and put in a new box with a shiny 18th ed sticker on promoting there seemingly new compliance and raise the price... will see it on accessories too... You can guarantee front of the rip people off mob will be NICEIC with a load of new books and updated half day courses.
Might try my luck with one of the account managers at the local wholesalers when dopey Dan is on... he will believe anything you tell him... he means well but is a bit dim.
I might try and get a few of there promoted 17th Amd 3 boards cheap by telling him they are no use anymore now the 18th is out!

I'm looking to just get a basic megger 1711, as it would cover my current needs. My initial concerns about more earth electrode and type b RCD only came up after reading about the rumoured 18th edition additions. If more accurate electrode readings are needed and type B rcds become more commonplace, then maybe I'd need to step up to an all singing, all dancing mft.
Just yet another cost to this 18th update.......

Some very interesting and valid questions.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a generally available tester for arc fault detection devices and no MFT on the market with that test facility.
I am nearly sure Tony said there was no testing for arc detection devices. If he said it he will be right . But I may be wrong lol.

Hi Guys,
Earth Electrodes aren't going to be a problem as that change has been deferred for AMD1 which is to be expected in 2-3 years. Regards RCD testing there will be minor changes as RCD's up to 2000mA will now be covered. Testing for Arc Fault Protection is not going to be a requirement other than pressing the test button to confirm operation. If you're doing domestic, chances are you won't be testing them so all current testers would be fine.

so i don't need to scrap my trusted meter:

8mk5.jpg

Reply to mft for upcoming 18th edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net