Discuss micc cable in 1960's underflloor heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

edward cooper

I have split the micc cable leading up to the room stat in my appartment and was wondering if anyone know how this will be wired as i have no wiring diagrams for the installation. I am an electrician but have no idea how this is connected.
I know that its fed from economy seven on its own board. The micc cable starts and ends here as there are two terminations into the box or could they be two radial circuits as i have two thermostats? I can the see thm disappear into the floor and thats all i know.
Will the firstleg leaving the fuse board feed directly to the stat of will it first terminate under the floor then the stat. Any help ideas or contacts will be useful. I have access to tools to terminate myself if I need.
As soon as i pierced cable i taped up to stop moisture ingress so i believe cable should be ok.

Is it the single cored MI in the floor ( This stuffs a bit before my time, but remember hearing about it), the stat connections must join somewhere to the "element", maybe in the E7 board?

MICC from that era needs to be treated with care as it does not like being moved round much also it is probably imperial so if you damage it you will need to renew it as the pots etc are totally different sizes.

Hi no its two core MI cable. I have been lucky because i have dropped on pots and seals that are imperial that a shop had lying about. I am now going to attempt to reterminate it. Because it is now about 3 feet too short to the stat I was going to extend it using modern cable probably 2.5mm twin and earth. Can anyone see a problem to this as the MI is only running on 15 amp rewireable fuse.
Any better ideas are always welcome.

Hi no its two core MI cable. I have been lucky because i have dropped on pots and seals that are imperial that a shop had lying about. I am now going to attempt to reterminate it. Because it is now about 3 feet too short to the stat I was going to extend it using modern cable probably 2.5mm twin and earth. Can anyone see a problem to this as the MI is only running on 15 amp rewireable fuse.
Any better ideas are always welcome.

you say its a two core that goes to the room stat, are you sure the sheath is earth and not a neutral as surely to a stat it will be a live and switched live return. A lot of concentric pyro was used in the 60's, just be carefull.

hi sorry what do u mean by concentric pyro. The sheath must be earth otherwise surely where it links into the metal fuse board the board would become live if the outer copper sheath was live?

hi sorry what do u mean by concentric pyro. The sheath must be earth otherwise surely where it links into the metal fuse board the board would become live if the outer copper sheath was live?

The neutral was used as cpc being the outer sheath, it was mainly found commercially on sockets as a single core micc(phase) and sheath (neutral) thankfully you wont/should not find any now but it was not uncommon to be found in dwellings with solid floors. obviously you can see the dangers now at cable conections where it changes to earth but testing at further downstream mid circuit can be a headscraching moment.
The last time i see some was only a couple of years ago running a couple of sockets in someones lounge.

Reply to micc cable in 1960's underflloor heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock