Discuss Micro teach session for job interview in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spunkywads26

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have recently decided that I would like to take up an ambition of mine and start my path into teaching. I have booked onto an assessors course and applied to a few posts for college lecturers. I have just had a response saying that my application has been successful and now I have a 2 stage interview.

The first stage is a 'micro teach session' where I can pick any subject relating to electrical installation and then pretend to teach it to the interviewer for 10 minutes.

The second stage is a formal interview.

Has anybody got any experience of the first stage? I know that this is what I am signing up for......but I am a bit nervous..

Hey Guys,

I have recently decided that I would like to take up an ambition of mine and start my path into teaching. I have booked onto an assessors course and applied to a few posts for college lecturers. I have just had a response saying that my application has been successful and now I have a 2 stage interview.
Sorry Mate had loads of interviewing experience, but it was a different thing in my day, stage 1 in your case looks like it was to see if you had the wherewithal to teach, stage 2 may be more of a formal interview, where they ask questions, about your working and personal way of life, sorry I can't be more helpfull, good luck anyway.
The first stage is a 'micro teach session' where I can pick any subject relating to electrical installation and then pretend to teach it to the interviewer for 10 minutes.

The second stage is a formal interview.

Has anybody got any experience of the first stage? I know that this is what I am signing up for......but I am a bit nervous..

Do not worry about it, think of it like a presentation.
Choose something interesting that you know well and prepare a short lesson on the basic aspects If they then ask questions you can supply more details.
Ten minutes is not long to cover a subject.
"Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them."
But that is not necessarily what they expect here. A brief synopsis of the subject in language gauged to your intended audience not the interviewer should suffice.

I used to be a trainer and assessor in a previous life. In short keep it simple, something like how to wire a 13 amp plug would be good. Outline the aims and objectives of the session, the aim is to teach the student how to wire a plug and safely. Explain how to do it, what happens if it isn't done properly and then get the person you are presenting to have a go. Recap and take questions. If you can get all that done in ten minutes you will have done well. Most people will try to do too much and fail miserably! My first teaching session was on how to make a cup of coffee!:)

It is my understanding,that they will run some degree of search,as part of any enhanced checking....maybe alter that forum name?

You wouldn't want some sharp individual to christen you with it,on your first week ;)

Although it didn't harm me pals old Geography teacher,Fred Talbot :eek:

Or as he was known on the web,old 4castgism :)

Reply to Micro teach session for job interview in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net