Discuss Microwave dead after electrical main switch reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spir4

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this is an appropriate forum to post my issue on. If not, I apologise.
I've got a combi microwave/oven that's 7 years old. Never had any issues. Yesterday I had to do some work on the electrical wiring in the house, so I turned off the main switch. I had to do this multiple times to test the wiring. When I was finished and I was resetting all the clocks in the house, I saw the the microwave was off and it smelled like burning electrical wires. I opened up the microwave, and everything still looked like new. There was a fuse in it. I changed it, but that didn't help.
Here's a picture of the inside of the microwave:
fb9cd809a45d0cdff69d57abf0dd5a9b-full.jpg

Should I just scrap it, or is there an easy fix? It's stupid I know, but I really really liked that microwave :)

Thanks!

Bin it , they have a more lethal than a Colour TV 2000V supply -- Very capable of being your 1st and last Electric shock ever !
A surge socket may have helped.
It's likely that just un-plugging it would have caused a similar fail
"Failed to start-up again" Power supply fault.
If it's spent most its life plugged in.

As above but did you check the fuse in the plug top, I had one blow as the fuse just decided it wanted to die..... it could also be a coincidence and the unit has a fault so it may be better to just upgrade it and scrap this one.

I thought that as long as I stay away from the capacitator and the microwave part I should be fine :) Not then?
There's wires running directly from the main lead to the screen/buttons. There's only that ceramic fuse between it. So that's why I thought that, if the screen doesn't turn on, it's either a faulty board or that fuse. But I guess there's no way I'll find a new board for a 7 year old microwave.

Alright, if there's no easy fix I'll have to bin it :(

As above but did you check the fuse in the plug top, I had one blow as the fuse just decided it wanted to die..... it could also be a coincidence and the unit has a fault so it may be better to just upgrade it and scrap this one.
I did, I checked both thermal fuses and the ceramic fuse. All fine.

The door safety interlocks will put a short circuit on the main power supply after you open the door if these switchs are faulty or miss aligned then' B A N G ' . seriously there are many things it can be, all of which are well beyond DIY, please take it to an appliance repairer who has the correct gear to service it safely.

interesting. recently had a "dead" microwave to look at. checked relays, fuses, and all the obvious suspects. eventually found the Tx in the PCB control board was o/c primary, so no 12V a.c. out.managed to get one that fitted from cpc...... 1 micro rescued at parts cost of £4.50.

Reply to Microwave dead after electrical main switch reset in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net