Discuss Mid position valve and underfloor heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mork

Hi all, just installed a polypipe under floor heating system to an existing Y plan, the valve is a V4073A,with this system the UFH stat should independently operate the UFHeating from the existing central heating, the snag is with the time clock off and the UFHeating stat on both the UFH & the central heating come on, I've checked the wiring and I know Im back feeding the orange of the zone valve, but it appears that this in turn is back feeding the white (heating on). Q; Does this valve allow for back feeding? Is the valve itself at fault? Many thanks if you can help, cheers Mork.

No a 3 port mid position valve shouldn't backfeed from the orange to the white, otherwise the heating would come on every time the cylinder stat calls!

How is the new ufh connected in to the system both hydraulically and electrically?

I'm not sure exactly how its plumbed, the plumber assures me has the same system working fine elsewhere, electrically the call wire from the UFH control is connected to the orange.

Sorry you said you installed the system, I assumed you meant you had installed the system rather than just connected the electrics!

But either way did you not check how it had been plumbed in before connecting the wiring to ensure that your controls would be correct for the way it is plumbed?

So does this ufh have it's own programmer, stat and valve?

davesparks what I also note is that this valve has a pcb style connection and not the old switch type.

Eh? I don't know what you mean by this?

All 3 port valves will have a small pcb in them for the mid position function along with 2 micro switches.

Sorry , should have made that clear.The sytem has a programmable room stat but no separate 2 port valve installed at the manifold, there is a 2 port at the cylinder end, this ive wired to come on/off with the cylinderstat.

Sorry , should have made that clear.The sytem has a programmable room stat but no separate 2 port valve installed at the manifold, there is a 2 port at the cylinder end, this ive wired to come on/off with the cylinderstat.

So the 2 port is controlling the hot water in series (hydraulically) with the 3 port valve then?
I assume this is due to it being an unvented cylinder?

Is there no valve at all for the underfloor?

Sorry, yes there is a 2 port at the manifold, I think if im getting a back feed off the valve then it must this that's faulty----I think?

Sorry, yes there is a 2 port at the manifold, I think if im getting a back feed off the valve then it must this that's faulty----I think?

But you just said there isn't one there and there is an extra one by the cylinder which you connected to the cylinder stat?

Draw a diagram showing exactly how you have connected this system and then we might be able to give useful advice.

You can't just go assuming that something must be faulty, you need to test the system in all operating conditions and make an informed diagnosis. But first you have to understand how the system should work otherwise you'll be on a hiding to nothing

I'm surprised Scouse Tel isn't jumping all over this thread.

He knows all there is to know about UFH heating! ;)

Reply to Mid position valve and underfloor heating in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock