Discuss Mig welder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've gone to a job and the customer has a 5-5 split Rccb board, and there shed is wired from a 32amp mcb. But when the welder is in use it trips the RCcb the welder is brand new. What could be the cause?
Cheers

I've got a motor that will not start. Any ideas?

We need quite a bit more information before any sensible answer can be given.

Is the welder an inverter type or wirewound transformer?

Does the RCD trip as soon as the welder is connected or only when you squeeze the trigger?

Does it trip every time?
What's the current rating (230v) of the MIG?

What's the load on the 80a Rccb that's tripping at the time it trips?

Does it trip after the same amount of time every time?

Specs a 42A supply but seems to run on 30A, might be much less on thin sheet work. Agree it's not inverter driven. Leakage current measurements would be helpful as no single immediately obvious cause. RCD may already be near threshold.

Yes the rating is 230v. Basically just the welder which is in use in time of tripping. If it's earth leakage, if I run a supplementary earth will this cure? Otherwise I will have to try and do away with being on a rcd.

if I run a supplementary earth will this cure?

I'm not sure why you would think that at all.

The fact that it happens during continuous welding, and that the welder is probably the largest single load, suggests that there may be a neutral-earth fault somewhere in the installation, rather than anything wrong with the welder. If that is the case the RCD would trip with another load of the same size or greater, it just happens that it is only the welder that uses enough current to reveal the problem.

No more guessing, you're going to have to take readings.

Anything relevant to the RCD that trips. We don't know the nature of the problem at all yet - it could be an N-E fault that is only revealed when the welder load is high enough to drag the N far enough away from earth, it could be a genuine fault in the welder or that the welder has very high leakage by design, it could be that some high leakage equipment is taking the RCD to near its trip threshold even if that other equipment isn't in use. Insulation tests will find wiring faults but if the cause is aggregate suppressor leakage or something else that only occurs with AC or when energised, only a leakage clamp will give you useful data.

I would also ask the following;earthing arrangement,cable run distances bench welding,type of socket,how near is board to welding...

Reply to Mig welder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock