Discuss mimic signal panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard3009

I have an old panel that produces 8 x 240v outputs to signal lamps, I wish to use these outputs to run a mimic panel a distance away, I need 110v to deal with the volt drop, but dont want 240v at the mimic, thinking of 240v relays in the master panel and running a multicore swa carrying my signals from a 110 control supply, anything on the market that will make this job easier without using radio signals.

Why not used low voltage signal switching, to drive relays. This would allow you to use cat 5 and drive upto 15 relays down 2 wires over large distances.

What is the distance we are talking for the repeater panel.... it may even be cheaper to get a wireless set-up if installation costs are high for a wired system.

If its safety critical then the system requires to be designed with a risk assessment and given category in mind, as we have no info and the fact you forgot to mention the most important aspect to your question which is crucial for correct design I'll bow out here... Im not going to make suggestions about a safety critical system unless I know absolutely everything.

Sorry ... :38:

All:38: the work will be checked and signed off by at least three people one of chartered engineer status, its purely a design idea we are looking for,options

Confused now if you have a Chartered Engineer in the loop surely he should be designing the system and then if he prefers to be a desktop engineer he gets in someone to do the job to his spec' ... so your going to design this system that needs to meet the critical safety criteria then he inspects it to confirm it does....

Question then ... are you experienced in risk assessment, control regulations for the system your expanding?

You have told us about a critical safe system that requires a repeater panel and sounds like it need to be fail safe to some degree, any control system design is subject to regulation, which one it falls under depends on the nature of the control system and the task it performs...

As this info has not been given how can I know what regulations it falls under ... You expressed its safety critical so that alone would say it has to follow strict regulation in its design whether it be a fire panel repeater board, a machine control hazard light system or a nurse call panic set-up to name but a few ... ???

Why not discuss the enigma rather than the red tape that may or may not surround it.
Because you asked a question then dropped in its a safety critical system and without knowing what its for we cannot advise how to do it ...so what is this system you wish to extend ?... not trying to dodge the question but if you require an answer then you need to provide at minimum what its for as this will invariably change the advice we give you.

Problem here, is as pointed out...who will take the wrap for the design.....As I stated low voltage signalling...ie 4 code binary switching would give you 15 switched outputs over 4 cables. common use in old fire repeaters, but it not fail safe. Weather this method could be achieved, using constant energised relays, I would have to check.

A good old 12c 1.5mm will tackle relay coils at 110v on the receiving end, I could simply fire a relay from a relay giving me loads of options in the mimic. Volt drop would not be an issue with a local supply, just need a multi pole isolator on the door.

Well your not going to be using ordinary relays if it forms part of a safety circuit.

Normally mimics are just for display purposes.

its not a safety circuit as in control, but the indication has to fail to safe
[h=2][/h]ie power loss what would you see, or cable is cut shorted etc

You seemed set on using 110v instead of ultra low 5v or 12v, and using multicore. Signal switching will eliminate voltage drop, and 200m or 300m can easily be achieved using standard control cable

Reply to mimic signal panel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net