Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Mini Trunking tips and help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. h901

h901 CCTV / Alarms

Hi

Been using quite a bit of mini trunking recently with a variety of different bends but can't seem to get the hang of it properly, my works doesn't come out as neatly as I expect and I've had to go over and over it to get it looking decent.

Anybody have any tips when cutting mini trunking and using bends with it. I've bought a CK mini trunking cutter but it struggles with 38x25mm trunking which I've been using, also cutting with a hacksaw doesn't leave a clean cut.

Thanks

2. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Use a large hacksaw, a stable base to work from like a toolbox with a groove in it and practise practise practise!

3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

I some times use a bread knife ,works wonder on brown bread ,;)start with that .

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

5. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Also I’ve never used prefab bends it’s easy enough to get a neat finish with a little practise on the bends the only prefab bits I use are end caps, though i do try to avoid them if possible by keeping the trunking running until it meets a wall or something makes for a much neater job. Little boo boos such as a not perfectly cut mitre can be touched up with silicone or painters caulk if your in a rush but it’s better to get good at it so you don’t need to use silicone​

6. simpson93

simpson93 DIY

I’ve never liked those trunking cutters, the plastic bends always seems to give a diagonal cut, I prefer a junior hacksaw.

Cut the lid seperatly to the rest if your doing longer runs and make sure the lid and the cut of the trunking are staggered so the lid hides the join.

I do sometimes use bends however if your butting it right up to ceiling it can be a pain.

Rather then using end caps I prefer to buy external bends and cut off half. I find it looks neater

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    By the time I’d looked for that in the van the trunking would be up on the wall. You used one buzz? They any good? I’m a bit skeptical but I must say I love the pair of gardeners secateurs I keep in the van for plastic conduit they work better than the actual conduit cutters:sweatsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    I think juniors are ok for the smaller stuff but when you go bigger that 25x16 you can’t beat the accuracy of a large hacksaw

• Like Like x 1
  9. buzzlightyear

The best thing for cutting bread is a old tenent saw with a block ,has well for cutting trunking.

10. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    How out of date is your bread buzz? Does it feel toasted before you’ve even thought about toasting it o_O

11. MFS Electrical

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Just thought of the carlsberg adverts there... 0D704250-E5DD-4984-8BC6-ED0E46AC92B1.jpeg if Tennants made saws.... they’d probably be the worst saws in the world. Tennants sure is the worst beer in the world. Unless it’s draft cause that’s actually quite nice :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. buzzlightyear

MFS , a. tip for you , when putting a cap on , cut to the end of the trunking leave a bit on the end..,same depth ,turn the trunking over ,put a v in it bend over a cap end .

• Like Like x 1
  13. mossep

mossep Regular EF Member

I never used to use pre made bends, tee's etc.... as my boss thought they were too expensive and with a bit of time you can make a neatest job off it yourself. Now I only use pre made ones, I think they look neat and they save a lot of time. Yes they are an extra expense, but they customer pays for a neat job so they get used.

If you use pre made ones, never butt the edge of the trunking up against a wall or ceiling as the fittings need a 1 -2 mm gap to fit on.

14. richy3333

richy3333 Forum Mentor

PVC cutters or hacksaw for. Larger stuff I normally use some form of battery saw. Either a mitre or something like the Festool HKC

15. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

Just use a set square.

Failing that buy yourself a mitre block from screwfix

• Like Like x 1