Discuss Minimum call-out fee gripe in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

eye tests are free for us coffin dodgers.
Minimum call-out fee gripe {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
is that what you look like in the mirror when have had your eyes tested.:rolleyes:

Here is an example, had a customer last week, her alarm was playing up. the tamper kept activating. She couldn't find the time in the week for me to go out and have a look due to her work, so she suggested Saturday and said she doesn't mind paying extra.
It took me around 20 minutes to get there (out of bath city centre, via quickest back road way to bradford on avon).
I charged £95 call out, for the first hour and said I would charge subsequent hours at £50. As it wasnt going to be labour intensive.
I worked on the basis of £60 x 1.5 being a saturday plus £5 diesel for the travelling there and back.
Got there, and the sounder was mounted on a uneven wall, and the spring barely touched the bricks, just tapping the box was enough to trigger it. So mounted it on some 5mm plyboard with batons, nice and high up and now fully secure. took me 45 minutes. and back home 1 and half hours after i left. £95 to the good. She has had no issues with it since.

you should charge like a taxi driver if they are out of the area that another £30 pounds .so £85.00 first hour 35.00 p/h plus £30.00.

Thanks for the comments. I was charging £60 last year for minimum, and also at £30 per hour. So maybe I'll go back to that!
As Andy78 says, some are more than happy to pay. Just think some people are still thinking of prices 20 years ago.

I note you didn't say where you are "south east" is far too vague.

That to me seems shockingly cheap, for what could be up to 3 hours away from another job and diesel to pay on top. I'd be looking a lot more here in Northern Ireland, and we have the lowest rates in the UK.[/QUOTE
That's interesting. Maybe time I put my rates up for call outs then.:tongueout: Out of curiosity what are others charging within the M25 area?

We don’t charge a call out fee as such. Just an hourly based on a minimum one hour.

Rates differentiate between normal working hours (08:00-20:00), mid week out of hours (20:00-08:00) and week end call outs.

I am sure that Maidstone is like Woking ..... some can easily afford it but moan and some simply can’t afford it .....

Whereas if you were in Kensington, it would be cheap

Actual location does matter
Your bang on Murdoch there is a huge spectrum of people in Maidstone as in most areas, I find the ones who haven’t got much are the most grateful though.

I think £70 is an ok price for south east England.

When they say "That sounds expensive", you could try saying "Well, that is the cost for me to get to your site and be there for up to an hour and I fix most problems in that time". If you want a call out, you could also try saying your price is £67 rather than £70. People will hear the sixty first and be mentally processing the price as being about £60 rather than being £70.

I think £70 is an ok price for south east England.

When they say "That sounds expensive", you could try saying "Well, that is the cost for me to get to your site and be there for up to an hour and I fix most problems in that time". If you want a call out, you could also try saying your price is £67 rather than £70. People will hear the sixty first and be mentally processing the price as being about £60 rather than being £70.

So where are you based?

'Ratpack building Co Ltd'

Sammy Davis Junior in safety goggles...
had an argument once over who was the first to fly across the atlantic. I said Sammy Davis Jnr. he said Alcock and Brown.i said. both right then.

I don't charge call out fees, only the cost of my time and fuel which is based on the distance from my home. For my labour I charge £35 per hour or part of an hour, If I'm called out anywhere, I have a list of how many hours I need to do the round trip then charge that at my normal hourly rate.

Surely you must take traveling time into it.. if charge £70 for a call out and it takes 30/40 min to rectify but you have 1 hour there and 1 hour back thats 2.5 hours thats Only £28 PH not accounting for fuel etc.. when accreditations insurances and all costs associated are taken into it then surely a figure in the region of £45 PH is more realistic

And they will get the work as lots of people want to know that the work has been done by a reputable company . Like said previous post accreditations insurances and all costs associated with companies and empolyer cost £ . But £95 is above it. Bet every1 on this forum wishes they could get that type of rate. A Sunday shift would become standard @ £160ph recon i know lota who would be willing to do 14h shift if getting that

Reply to Minimum call-out fee gripe in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock