Discuss Minimum number of sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My existing kitchen is being rewired? Would it need to comply with the number of sockets in the OSG in table H7?

My kitchen is small. Having 6 double sockets (plus cooker switches etc.) looks stupid and I would struggle to use half of them given. My interpretation is that these are just recommendations but other lower numbers could be installed if it can be justified. I'm not a spark though, so it would be good to hear whether this is the case or not. I'm in England btw.

While the reasoning behind it makes sense, I think some of the numbers are a load of rubbish, particularly the one for a small kitchen. In contrast, the number for a small garage (2) seems too low as you don't want trailing leads when people are using power tools etc. However, I guess it depends how people intend to use the room rather that setting some meaningless number.

If it’s your kitchen, have as many as you want, just don’t have too few.

Would it need to comply with the number of sockets in the OSG in table H7?

The clue is in the abbreviation OSG
The third letter may shine a revealing light ;)

I am concerned he is going to wire it himself, his name is wiring peter lol, he is here for free advice, and to be fair should not be interfearing with this type of work without knowledge, a very dangerous game, is the DB up to scratch, is the earthing up to scratch??? etc etc etc

I am concerned he is going to wire it himself, his name is wiring peter lol, he is here for free advice, and to be fair should not be interfearing with this type of work without knowledge, a very dangerous game, is the DB up to scratch, is the earthing up to scratch??? etc etc etc

I chose the name simply because this forum is about electrical things and I also couldn't use names that were already taken. Maybe misleading, but just a username.

Anyway, the question is simply about understanding the regs. I can't see any dangers in reading and understanding regs.

Its down to how many pieces of equipment you will have out in the kitchen normally. Kettle, toaster, microwave, a radio?
Better having too many than too few. (6 doubles does sound excessive)

Give the OP a break. He said it was getting rewired, not he was doing it. (god forbid) Don't know why he wants to know the ins and outs of the regs though.

I think when it says 6 sockets you count as each socket outlet so a single socket would be one outlet and a double two outlets, therefore, six outlets could be three double sockets.

Except when counting accessories for an EICR - that’s been discussed to exhaustion in the past!
I think when it says 6 sockets you count as each socket outlet so a single socket would be one outlet and a double two outlets, therefore, six outlets could be three double sockets.

You have put disagree, Murdoch,I did say think please state why you disagree as I could change my thought and be corrected.

OP stated 6 DOUBLE sockets. That's a total of 12 outlets.
I don't know if "cooker switch etc" means more sockets below worktop through a DP switch, but possibly a socket on the cooker switch.

You have put disagree, Murdoch,I did say think please state why you disagree as I could change my thought and be corrected.

A "point" for me is a single socket, a double socket, a fused spur, a light switch, a light fitting....

Do you count all the lamp bulbs in a big fitting or just the fitting?

So in summary, a "point" is where the circuit connects to an accessory ...

Hope this makes sense

Not according to the OSG. It says 'Minimum number of twin socket-outlets', and has 6 for up to 12 square metres. So I make that 12 socket-outlets in total, even for a tiny kitchen. This particular section is only about socket-outlets, so any additional switches for appliances aren't included.

Not according to the OSG. It says 'Minimum number of twin socket-outlets', and has 6 for up to 12 square metres. So I make that 12 socket-outlets in total, even for a tiny kitchen. This particular section is only about socket-outlets, so any additional switches for appliances aren't included.

OP stated 6 DOUBLE sockets. That's a total of 12 outlets.
I don't know if "cooker switch etc" means more sockets below worktop through a DP switch, but possibly a socket on the cooker switch.

The socket on the cooker switch is mentioned in note 1, and isn't included.

It's a good point about appliance sockets but I suspect they wouldn't be included. I think the reasoning behind it is sound, ie. reducing the chance of trailing cables, extension leads etc. and I don't think we could expect people to use an appliance socket in a normal way. I suppose the key point is in note 1, which says that the sockets above the work surface should have no more than 1m between them.

Reply to Minimum number of sockets? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock