Discuss Minimum requirements to produce and sell bespoke ceiling lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Daniel

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to start making my own lamps and ceiling lights to sell to the public, but currently I have no formal electrical qualifications.

What requirements would I have to meet as far as training and legislation to be able to safely and legally produce and sell within Britain or the UK?

at 71, i don't have the time left in life to give a satisfactory answer.

start with CE approval.

There are many laws and directives applicable to this and seeking the minimum will still require piles of paperwork and money to get it off the ground.

I guess if you used electrical parts to make the lamp holder that are CE approved you could get away without complying as an individual to CE standards. I think the difficult part may be earthing depending on whether you will be using metalwork or double insulated arrangements. But essentially if you use metal bodies then it will have to have a connection for the earth wire of the supply cable. Of course there is the fireproof aspect. But you may be able to supply an intumescent sealing pad that fits where the light connects at the ceiling as we are required to do now (and then?)

This is a conversation which is not happening in a Chinese production room,first thing any morning...

I have noticed that some of those CE stickers peel off easy...I'm guessing they go on just the same...

Now where is the dude who had the lamp fitting on here,made out of Bear Gryll's bow-drill fire anvil? :)

Daniel, what is your background? Do you have a business plan? Have you got deep pockets/start up capital? What is your USP? Do you understand route to market? Your lack of personal electrical qualifications should be way down your checklist, possibly not even on it.

I guess if you used electrical parts to make the lamp holder that are CE approved you could get away without complying as an individual to CE standards.

I'd check up on that as I wouldn't agree with it mate.
If you make up a panel with all CE parts you still have to make sure the panel is CE certified.
I presume you would have to do that with whatever you are manufacturing.
You also have to verify that all the CE parts you are using are actually CE compliant. (I think this was due to all the Chinese items that were marked "CE" but were not actually CE compliant)

Reply to Minimum requirements to produce and sell bespoke ceiling lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock