Discuss Minor Work Certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Just newly qualified, so not registered with recognised body to do self certs. So having new kitchen fitted, and existing sockets in old cupboards just needed fitting into new cupboards. Fitter insisted that he needed a MWC so another sparky fitted sockets and raised MWC, total of £60. Is this right, as from what I can see, there was no alterations or addotions to existing circuit, so did it need MWC...or am I being 'special'?

There were alterations to the circuit, albeit very minor, a MNWC is required, refitting sockets and a MWCert £60 not a bad price, how long did it take him?

Changing accessories does not warranty a MWC.

A test for Zs and note on cert.
Ah but is he or has he just changed the accessory? he may have had to extend / move cables to fit the sockets into the new cupboards, I'll stick with a MNWC.

Whilst accessory replacement like-for-like doesn't require an MEIWC the client still has a right to ask for one.

It took him about 15 minutes, including direct Zs test. Fair enough, I just wanted to confirm. Thank you.
To get the right perspective on this job, and to settle argument of whether a MNWC is was required, was it a cas of just changing the face plates, or was further work required, extending / moving cables etc? for the OP to answer please

BS7671 notes on MEIWC, say this certificate may be used for replacement of accessories or luminaires, as well you know :)

I read here that some of the larger suppliers of kitchen & bathroom units, require certification for the simplest of things.

Personally, the replacement of one accessory, I do what Murdoch suggests. Anything more I tend to issue minor works.

Recently, I had one old customer contacted me. They were selling their house, where we had refurbished the bathroom, a couple of years back. I had just replaced existing extractor fan & associated isolator (not in Zones). But I did a minor works. Their solicitor wanted copies of 'certificates'; it sometimes just makes life easier.

To get the right perspective on this job, and to settle argument of whether a MNWC is was required, was it a cas of just changing the face plates, or was further work required, extending / moving cables etc? for the OP to answer please

Sounds like sockets mounted in old kitchen units got removed then re-mounted in new units once installed.

Sounds like sockets mounted in old kitchen units got removed then re-mounted in new units once installed.
I the OP doesn't come back with an answer we will never know will we? but from the OP's original post I will still go with MNWC

We seem to be debating a minor issue here, excuse the pun. I agree swapping like for like doesn't necessarily mean a MNWC is required.
Either way the client has a record that, accessories were changed, the client will no necessarily appreciate what work has been needed to swap these face plate, so in essence are we just arguing over who is right or wrong here, there are differing opinions, as there always will be, but in the grand scheme of things, no one got hurt the client has a record of what was done and when, so really no big deal, but I'll still opt for the MNWC.

MiNor Works Certificate or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. Till the IET come up with something else just as complicated, for what it is something so minor, its just not worth arguing over :)

We seem to be debating a minor issue here, excuse the pun. I agree swapping like for like doesn't necessarily mean a MNWC is required.
Either way the client has a record that, accessories were changed, the client will no necessarily appreciate what work has been needed to swap these face plate, so in essence are we just arguing over who is right or wrong here, there are differing opinions, as there always will be, but in the grand scheme of things, no one got hurt the client has a record of what was done and when, so really no big deal, but I'll still opt for the MNWC.
A loop & RCD (min test) takes minutes.

Reply to Minor Work Certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock