Discuss minor works cert for new circuit doubled up from an existing mcb?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I`ll bow to superior knowledge. Seems amazing to me that, in theory, you can put a single socket outlet supplied via a new 2.5mm cable into a 32amp MCB supplying a ring, call it a junction box and issue a MWC but hey ho.

NO Taffy, the 32A breaker wouldn't be able to protect the 2.5mm cable, in the same way as you would need to use a FCU to spur off a ring if you use a single 2.5mm cable.

You Can however connect another ring circuit to that single protective device, as then the 32A breaker will satisfy the circuits protection requirements, and as long as it satisfies the other circuit requirements, such as disconnection times etc, ...it complies!!!

As i've said, not the best of practices, and one that i would hope you rarely if indeed ever see, but it does comply!! lol!!!

EDIT....
Just realised that you can spur off a ring for a single socket!! Just shows you, how often i've allowed spurs off of ring circuits on my projects ...lol!! On the rare occasions i have, it's always been via FCU. I don't like seeing spurs on rings at the best of times....lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thank you guys. I fully understand the electrical aspect but I have to admit that through-out my time as a sparky I have never known this. Whenever I have come across arrangements like this in a CU during a PIR I`ve always flagged it up and I can honestly say I`ve always issued EICs for the work when Ive used an already used MCB
But I`m man enough to admit I dont know everything so thanks again, I`ve learned something new today.

Last edited:
think it's p21 of the brb. definition of a "circuit". ain't unwrapped the bgb yet, for what it co9st, think i'll display it at the tate.

I was told by my tutor that if you connect a new light circuit to the mcb of an existing lighting circuit it is deemed a new circuit.
I remember this because i was marked wrong in my assessment because i said it was altering an exixting circuit.

I was told by my tutor that if you connect a new light circuit to the mcb of an existing lighting circuit it is deemed a new circuit.
I remember this because i was marked wrong in my assessment because i said it was altering an exixting circuit.

Sounds like yet another lecturer/tutor that doesn't know too much about what he's teaching!! lol!!!

well, you were correct. your tutor was wrong. see post 26.

if your new work requires RCD protection in order to comply ( e.g if you are burying cable in a wall < 50mm deep etc., etc.) then you must either fit RCD/RCBO to the circuit, or an RCD FCU to your new work.

interestingly the diagram on page 425 of BGB shows socket outlets wired downstream of an FCU wired in 1.5mm....
Makes perfect sense when thought about, but woulve triggered a trip to the van to check the book if i'd found it on PIR (ECR)..!

Reply to minor works cert for new circuit doubled up from an existing mcb?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net