Discuss Minor Works cert in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been in discussion with a friend Regards minor works certs for a couple of jobs he did recently.

1. Move light (cable is not extended just moved 300mm using slack in loft)

2. Change single socket to a double socket.

He has insisted he is not altering the circuit and that it is classed as more maintenance based.

What's your thoughts on this please.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have been in discussion with a friend Regards minor works certs for a couple of jobs he did recently.

1. Move light (cable is not extended just moved 300mm using slack in loft)

2. Change single socket to a double socket.

He has insisted he is not altering the circuit and that it is classed as more maintenance based.

What's your thoughts on this please.
Bull poo, you have altered a circuit MNWC, your mate is he an Electrician?

He is yes, this is what I said to him. He has said how is the light removed then put back up minor works when it's no different to a maintaince task.

BYB gives some suggestions for the use of a minor works, including the relocation of a light switch, replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires.

Quite frankly though, if you did that every time for such small works, you'll spend more time testing than actually doing the work. Depends on the circumstances, and what the customer wants IMO.

I think you need to apply a dose of common sense..... the people that write the regs believe you should do a MWC even for a change of accessory.. but I don't ..... a note of the Zs on the invoice is more than adequate IMHO

Look how much of a problem will it be to issue a MNWC? just do cut all the BS people are always going to argue this issue, do what you think is right far to many people sticking their oar where it's not needed imo.

The only thing is, there's a few bits and pieces to record, even on a MEIWC. If your not going to fill those details in, what's the point of issuing one?

The only thing is, there's a few bits and pieces to record, even on a MEIWC. If your not going to fill those details in, what's the point of issuing one?
Whats the points of arguing the issue? issue the cert stop faffing around over something that is not that important anyway FFS

Ok thanks.

So if these tasks do need a cable extending. Or a spur added and the bonding is inadequate or undersized.

Is it permissable to note this on a MNWC?

I'm not arguing Pete, just saying I'm not spending an hour testing, and filling in a minor works for something simple. I'll risk assess it, and take my chances.:)
An hour:fearscream:

Ok thanks.

So if these tasks do need a cable extending. Or a spur added and the bonding is inadequate or undersized.

Is it permissable to note this on a MNWC?

My thoughts are that any diligent electrician would have assessed the system for suitability and safety before alteration and tested both circuits for safety when carrying out these tasks. It's no big shakes to record those results on a MWC, needed or not.

If you were to move a ceiling rose or pull Switch a couple of inches because the original fixings were no longer holding them up, would you issue a minor works?

If your 'mate' was not doing any testing or issuing a certificate how is he ensuring that what is already there is actually okay, we seem to be working on the assumption that everything is fine.

Seems a bit hit and hope if you ask me, all okay until some poor customer or worse still their young child is electrocuted and you are subsequently gripping the rail and trying to explain to the nice man in the wig why you couldn't be arsed to test!

No doubt someone will tell me I am being over dramatic, but no one actually sets out to kill someone, but it still happens!

To me it's the same as removing an existing light fitting and replacing it with a ceiling rose? I did this last week in a house and moved it about 150mm using slack in the loft. Checked the earth was good, classed it as maintenance so no cert issued. The fitting I replaced was a bodge anyway, rawl plugs barely holding it to the ceiling, wires twisted together wrapped in a bit of insulation tape.

With the socket I would test and issue a MWC.

Reply to Minor Works cert in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock