Discuss minor works limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
anyone know the correct wordings or scenarios for limitations on a minor works for not doing the ir or r1 + r2 test ..
.like unable to take cover off db or cannot fully isolate db etc

anyone know the correct wordings or scenarios for limitations on a minor works for not doing the ir or r1 + r2 test ..
.like unable to take cover off db or cannot fully isolate db etc

For me, it would be exceptional to have limitations on what is already a very limited document but you would use phrases such as:

"unable to complete R1+R2 testing due to........"

"Unable to carry out insulation resistance testing due to......"

Each limitation devalues the final document.

there is a limitations section on a minor works cert but if your working on a circuit you can only isolate by removin the fuse and its an old hrc board thats 3 phase and live as ---- i,d say you can use limitations ..........commercial minor works not domestic ...............etc

The tests required for the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate are the minimum that are required, as such it wouldn't be reasonable to not carry them out.

there is a limitations section on a minor works cert but if your working on a circuit you can only isolate by removin the fuse and its an old hrc board thats 3 phase and live as ---- i,d say you can use limitations ..........commercial minor works not domestic ...............etc
Not on any based on the model forms in BS7671 there isn't.

also if the nuetrals and earths are not correctly numbered and just rammed any where for you to identify the correct cable to do the r1 + r2 or the ir test .............

or cant turn board off due to other people needing power ...etc

On the IET model forms, there is no distinction between commercial/domestic MEIWC but I notice on the NICEIC MEIWC there is a box labelled: "Agreed limitations, if any, on the inspection and testing".

Rather poor form I'd say.

yes iq there is ...............makes the job harder if your on a really old db thats like a mad womans knitting inside .....
to unsafe to work live (which we all know is a no no unless absolutely neccessary )

A very common and reasonable limitation when testing an altered existing circuit is a L-N IR test......not always practical to carry out,in fact I cant remember the last time I did....IMO the limitations box on NIC forms is essential.

yes but if you cant isolate the db you cant do the ir test ?
i e very old hrc board or a board with an isolator that wont let you open the cover unless its in off position

Last edited:

Reply to minor works limitations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net