Discuss Missing earth on socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

PaUl100

Changing over socket face plates today in a 2 bedroomed flat with ring circuit to downstairs & ring circuit to upstairs, after fitting new face plates tested sockets with Fluke socket tester & all ok apart from single socket on landing which is indicating missing earth, took face plate off & checked connections, all ok, but still showing missing earth. Property was refurbished completely about 16 years ago & no wiring problems, as this single socket appears to be on upstairs ring it got me thinking there must be a JB under the landing floor, don't know where else the problem can be as all other sockets are ok ? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

could possibly be a faulty socket. only way to tell is to meter from nearest socket cpc and then trace back.

It is part of the ring, definitely not a spur, which is giving me doubts for JB under floor, but you never know. Could kick myself for not checking sockets before doing the changeover, cos I reckon fault was already there, but still has could not be left like that.

Have you tested the S/O with your meter (ZS test) to confirm the socket tester is not faulted?

Or as Tel has said faulted socket so test at rear with leads!

Reason for asking is that if it is part of the ring & it is showing up as missing earth, then surely there must be other sockets on the ring that show up with a fault ? Unless at the point of the single socket the ring has been extended for this socket, but I know for a fact that no electrical work has been undertaken in the property since it was refurbished & re-wired.

The only way to find out is to carry out tests it won't take you long to establish what faults you have and if it is as you say a ring final circuit.

Don't assume anything and just go through you testing procedure and then you will know exactly whats what!

Thanks for all your replies, will carry out tests to see, hopefully will find the problem without too much hassle, don't really want to start pulling up carpets & floors etc if I can help it, particularly as I'm just changing over face plates for a family friend, they did say if it was going to be a major problem that I could put a blanking plate over & they would not use the socket, but not an ideal solution in my opinion.

If I were you I'd get your wander lead out and check the continuity of each of the ring CPC's back to the CU. Or as someone else has suggested check the continuity of the CPC at the CU

Reply to Missing earth on socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock