Discuss Mist-air pressure washer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johndeere6920

Hi, I'm new to the forum, Im going to start off with advice wanted. I have a 10 year old cold water 230 volt 15 amp round pin Mist-Air power washer. We use it for washing our milking parlour on the farm, and I wondering if I need any RCD or GFCI protection for it. I store the washer in the parlour where it's mostly dry.
I cover the duraplug plug with paper when not in use and no covers are missing on the washer. The socket outlet for it is in the parlour, about 7 feet off the ground where no or little moisture gets into it.
The pressure washer power cord is double insulated, but there is a slit in part of the outer cable, but I have this taped over to prevent any more damage with electrical tape. When the washer is in use I try to spray as little water possible around the socket and washer.
I was just wondering if anybody could give me any advice, about my work practices, and if I need RCD or GFCI protection.

If a fault occured, would any injury result from holding the lance of the washer, surely none as the lance handle is plastic??
I tried looking for portable RCD's, but I can't see any for 15amp round pin power sources.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Josh

Firstly if the supply cable is damaged then replace it as soon as possible.....no ifs or buts. This is by far the greatest hazard with this type of machinery.

You won't get a shock from the lance if it's plastic but if there's a fault you'll get a shock from any other part of the machine that's metallic, the damaged supply cable or possibly even from the water that's being sprayed.

As far as a GFCI or RCD protection I can't advise what the US regulations say (I'm guessing you're stateside) but maybe you could use a portable piggy-back unit in the power outlet.

If you could take a few pictures of the fuse board that it is supplied from i think we will see that you already have the appropriate rcd protection , well i would hope so anyway ?
If not then yes you do need it !

ok, thanks, I thought that the electrical tape that I wrapped around the cord will be fine, as it will stop any more damage, the tape is for use up to 600 volts. The outer cable is only damaged.

Lol, It's a fair stroll. :)

ok, thanks, I thought that the electrical tape that I wrapped around the cord will be fine, as it will stop any more damage, the tape is for use up to 600 volts. The outer cable is only damaged.

The tape is rated to 600 volts but it's no substitute for a new cable. Replace the cable and maybe go for a HO7RNF neoprene or an aqua rated cable. standard PVC trailing cable is rubbish, especially in harsh environments.

Aye, a 6400 would be a good tractor, we've a 6920, although i'm a ford man, when we had a newholland 8260 4 years back, she was just terrible since new, so thats why we've changed to deere. The newhollands now are only fiat, theres no ford design in them.

Deere all the way , and a bit deutz to boot !
FORD =
Fix OR Repair Daily .
Mind i have got a bit of a soft spot for the TW/FW and the 10 series !

Hi Josh
They are not really good enough for me to tell , so we will have to approach it differently !
Is there a bit of kit on there that looks a bit like one of the other trips but is about twice as wide and has a little button on which has the markings "test" by it , the little button may be yellow ?
If the fuse board has got one then the best way to find out if you are covered is to turn on the washer and go and press this little button to trip the RCD , if when you do this it turns off the washer you are probably on a RCD .
If there is more than one of these in the fuse board do it for each one and check the washer even if you think it is one you have already tripped .
You will then need to write down all of the details on which ever ones stop the power to the washer and let us know what they say !
Be carefully not to do these test before you shut down any computers as they may lose power and thus lose any unsaved data , if you have any form of data feed system in place for the in/out of parlour feeding this should be OK , but you may want to shut them down as well just to be sure ?

What plant have you got , we used to have a Alfa Laval blue diamond on our family farm which used to be a sore point for my then boss as we were Fullwood dealers !!!
How many girls have you got there , and what are they mainly ?

Dave

Reply to Mist-air pressure washer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net