Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Mitre / Chop / Combi / Flip Saws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Bit off topic from the point of view of Electricians tools, but on the basis there are a few tool tarts on here that like their toys, plus the likelyhood that there are some damn good alrounders on here I thought I’d write a very long sentence!
    I need (do I really?) want to buy a Mitre saw that will be used for skirting general arcitraving etc. Anyone recommend any particular bits of kit. I’m angling down the Dewalt line possibly Flexvolt as I already have a couple bits of dewalt 18v kit. Quite a bit of choice and price. Also seen flip saws which I like the look of as I can also foresee some jobs that would also fall into table saw category. Any views recommendations?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    If you do a lot of PVC trunking, mitre saws are brilliant, well the De Walt one was

4. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    For the kind of work you are saying you want to do a mitre saw like the arrangement in #2 is not that far off the mark. But a coping saw is the thing to use on skirting. You don't mitre it you cut the abutting skirting to the shape of the ogee meeting the corner. The mitre saw for architrave. You won't get 90 degree corners so for a perfect fit you would cut the skirting to the shape it is meeting.
    However don't let that discourage you from tool tarting your way to a powered mitre saw. Get one that slides and has a big blade on it. Makita do a good one. They are a bit annoying as they have set points for angles to cut at so it clicks in to 45 degrees etc. but it's hard to get say 38.5 degrees.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvtargid=kwd-949193146&ref=pd_sl_8yojm0ghs0_e

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you mitre the outside corners though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FatAlan

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

You are not a tool tart unless you are considering Festool.

8. FatAlan

Sister in law had some decking done by a guy with all the Festool gear. Didn’t do a bad job either. Would be really good if there was a decent power tool manufacturer in the UK.

9. Grant webber

Grant webber Active EF Member

Business Name:
    GW Electrical
    My brother has the festool kapex and stand proper bit of kit if you got 1500 quid to spare

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FatAlan

Had this beast belt driven in a shed of the house I just bought with an old Perkins engine. Not sure it would have been any good on skirting boards!

01945BB3-3FE8-46B2-8F2F-EF6549F5B502.jpeg

B3BBDBD7-500D-460D-AB34-D9E2184D680A.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I think you will find that is a Lister :)

Please do not scrap it,these are a piece of history...me mates dad,lost his thumb on one :(

12. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Sorry,double posting,here...got exited with that single oiler.

If you can stand the cost/size,get a bigger compound mitre saw,and two blades,40 + 60 or 60 + 80.

I have had a DW708 since they first come out,bit of an antique now,but still mint. Has done everything from architraves to framing a couple of large stick-built roofs.

It is like ballroom dancing with a giant,frozen octopus,every time it comes out,but once set up,is awesome. It's accuracy far exceeds the tolerances of available stud-work timber,in this country...

• Like Like x 1
  13. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I'm getting all pedantic,again...you actually do,mitre it,as if an inside 90 degree corner,then you follow the "shown face" cut-line,with the coping saw,and "shy" the coping blade,at a slight angle,to permit the "scribed" edge to fit tight,to the corresponding profile.

The same man,that taught me this,showed me how to cut any pipe abutting a flat face,by using water and chalk in a bucket,to mark it out.

He would be at high rpm's in his grave,if he saw skirting board armagedon,courtesy of no-more nails and a Paslode :eek:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Timbo

Timbo Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    TechFix Services
    Got a Festool Kapex 120 and the angle finder. Use it to get exact mitres inside and outside corners. Haven't used a coping saw since I left skool.......
    For scribing skirting there is the Trend Scribemaster Pro.
    Not cheap, but..... so what.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FatAlan

It was sold on by the vendors. I would have loved to have kept it but it would have just festered. Better it went to someone who wanted it.

• Agree Agree x 1