Discuss Mitre / Chop / Combi / Flip Saws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Bit off topic from the point of view of Electricians tools, but on the basis there are a few tool tarts on here that like their toys, plus the likelyhood that there are some damn good alrounders on here I thought I’d write a very long sentence!
I need (do I really?) want to buy a Mitre saw that will be used for skirting general arcitraving etc. Anyone recommend any particular bits of kit. I’m angling down the Dewalt line possibly Flexvolt as I already have a couple bits of dewalt 18v kit. Quite a bit of choice and price. Also seen flip saws which I like the look of as I can also foresee some jobs that would also fall into table saw category. Any views recommendations?

shopping
#
and\;
shopping
followed by some of this out of the saving.

Theakston Brewery Gift Shop - https://www.theakstons.co.uk/shop/#!/

Bit off topic from the point of view of Electricians tools, but on the basis there are a few tool tarts on here that like their toys, plus the likelyhood that there are some damn good alrounders on here I thought I’d write a very long sentence!
I need (do I really?) want to buy a Mitre saw that will be used for skirting general arcitraving etc. Anyone recommend any particular bits of kit. I’m angling down the Dewalt line possibly Flexvolt as I already have a couple bits of dewalt 18v kit. Quite a bit of choice and price. Also seen flip saws which I like the look of as I can also foresee some jobs that would also fall into table saw category. Any views recommendations?
If you do a lot of PVC trunking, mitre saws are brilliant, well the De Walt one was

For the kind of work you are saying you want to do a mitre saw like the arrangement in #2 is not that far off the mark. But a coping saw is the thing to use on skirting. You don't mitre it you cut the abutting skirting to the shape of the ogee meeting the corner. The mitre saw for architrave. You won't get 90 degree corners so for a perfect fit you would cut the skirting to the shape it is meeting.
However don't let that discourage you from tool tarting your way to a powered mitre saw. Get one that slides and has a big blade on it. Makita do a good one. They are a bit annoying as they have set points for angles to cut at so it clicks in to 45 degrees etc. but it's hard to get say 38.5 degrees.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvtargid=kwd-949193146&ref=pd_sl_8yojm0ghs0_e

You are not a tool tart unless you are considering Festool.
Sister in law had some decking done by a guy with all the Festool gear. Didn’t do a bad job either. Would be really good if there was a decent power tool manufacturer in the UK.

Sorry,double posting,here...got exited with that single oiler.

If you can stand the cost/size,get a bigger compound mitre saw,and two blades,40 + 60 or 60 + 80.

I have had a DW708 since they first come out,bit of an antique now,but still mint. Has done everything from architraves to framing a couple of large stick-built roofs.

It is like ballroom dancing with a giant,frozen octopus,every time it comes out,but once set up,is awesome. It's accuracy far exceeds the tolerances of available stud-work timber,in this country...

For the kind of work you are saying you want to do a mitre saw like the arrangement in #2 is not that far off the mark. But a coping saw is the thing to use on skirting. You don't mitre it you cut the abutting skirting to the shape of the ogee meeting the corner. The mitre saw for architrave. You won't get 90 degree corners so for a perfect fit you would cut the skirting to the shape it is meeting.
However don't let that discourage you from tool tarting your way to a powered mitre saw. Get one that slides and has a big blade on it. Makita do a good one. They are a bit annoying as they have set points for angles to cut at so it clicks in to 45 degrees etc. but it's hard to get say 38.5 degrees.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvtargid=kwd-949193146&ref=pd_sl_8yojm0ghs0_e

I'm getting all pedantic,again...you actually do,mitre it,as if an inside 90 degree corner,then you follow the "shown face" cut-line,with the coping saw,and "shy" the coping blade,at a slight angle,to permit the "scribed" edge to fit tight,to the corresponding profile.

The same man,that taught me this,showed me how to cut any pipe abutting a flat face,by using water and chalk in a bucket,to mark it out.

He would be at high rpm's in his grave,if he saw skirting board armagedon,courtesy of no-more nails and a Paslode :eek:

Got a Festool Kapex 120 and the angle finder. Use it to get exact mitres inside and outside corners. Haven't used a coping saw since I left skool.......
For scribing skirting there is the Trend Scribemaster Pro.
Not cheap, but..... so what.

I think you will find that is a Lister :)

Please do not scrap it,these are a piece of history...me mates dad,lost his thumb on one :(
It was sold on by the vendors. I would have loved to have kept it but it would have just festered. Better it went to someone who wanted it.

Hi Alan, I would highly recommend the evolution range of mitre saws, have used one to skirt my house, fit a kitchen, cut unistrut, threaded rod and dado trunking - great all rounder and not expensive.

Sam

Evolution are cheap - the one I have would only take evo blades until I modified it and the slides wore grooves from the recirculating ball bearings.
I have one of these now - Metabo KGS216M Laser Slide Compound Mitre Saw - http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/metabo-kgs216m-laser-slide-compound-mitre-saw?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7YertJb02AIV7bXtCh10zg6WEAQYAyABEgLejvD_BwE
A bit bigger, not very much more expensive, more useful features, The evolution stand is a robust bit of kit and cheap.
The only thing my saw doesn't have is soft start but I think the new Evos have dropped this too. - And, of course, I have a coping saw!

46048AA8-56C3-4BD8-9CBE-38CE9E7A74F7.jpeg Evolution looked like the most sensible option but after a bit of irrational thought decided to go with a Dewalt DWS780. :oops:

Good choice. Best bit of advice I have been given for my miter saw (Makita double bevel not Dewalt but both are decent tools) is to buy the right blades for the job. I have a fine tooth blade that cut laminates mdf and plastics cleanly with no chipping and then a multipurpose one for mild steel and larger pieces of wood. Definitely get the evolution saw stand. It's quite heavy but well worth it.

I went for a package with Axminster Tools and got the Dewalt stand all in £800 which was the best I could see. Tin hat on now as someone will tell me I could have got it cheaper :)

Reply to Mitre / Chop / Combi / Flip Saws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net