Discuss MK dual RCD busbar help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

voltage

Hi all

carrying on from my thread last night on testing continuity of radial circuits.
I've got my MK dual RCD consumer unit and just need some reassurance to see if im correct or not.

ok i've got a picture for you guys to look at

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

so on the picture i connect the busbar into the RDC then cut it off where i have place the spare way cover strip after the 6th prong then repeat the process for the second RCD leaving enough prongs for another 5 MCBs as its a 10 way board is this correct.
many thanks volt :cool:

yes, but i would leave 1 more "prong " on the left busbar so as to have a spare way . it would be a good idea to split the ring finals so they'rer not all on the same side. ditto the lights.

Last edited:
Hi all

carrying on from my thread last night on testing continuity of radial circuits.
I've got my MK dual RCD consumer unit and just need some reassurance to see if im correct or not.

ok i've got a picture for you guys to look at

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

so on the picture i connect the busbar into the RDC then cut it off where i have place the spare way cover strip after the 6th prong then repeat the process for the second RCD leaving enough prongs for another 5 MCBs as its a 10 way board is this correct.
many thanks volt :cool:

Is MK B&Q standard issue?

not for CUs , art my local it's wylex and a card from the local fire brigade enclosed

thanks for replies guys. On the first RCD i have the shower, ring downstairs , cooker , immersion and lighting downstairs on the second RCD i have the upstairs ring and upstairs lighting.

Would this be the best way of splitting the circuits ? my thinking being lighting on seperate RCDs as if RCD 1 trips you still have lights upstairs.

Or should i put immersion on second RCD along with all the other upstairs circuits as it is upstairs anyway ?

As regards to B+Q i always use my local wholesaler for all my parts.

your splitting is fine. no reason to alter the immersion, as the idea of splitting circuits is to have at least 1 socket and 1 lighting circuit still on in the event of 1 RCD tripping. you can do without a bath for 1 day. don't matter which RCD the immersion is on. unless it's to balance the load between the RCDs.

I just had a quick look at this thread and the picture
You are constructing a twin rcd unit ? yes

Where you have the second rcd,I may be very wrong,but the Bus bar appears to extend past the outgoing live connection and is either at or near the rcd outgoing neutral
Just mentioning in case I am correct and not being misled by my ever deteriorating eyeballs :)

Sorry,I now notice that you haven't cut the bus bar yet,so, :eek:
Cut it without any surplus bus bar shooting past that rcd live side, so as not to impede the neutral connection :)

Last edited:
des. he's saying he'll cut it where he's placed the blank. that busbar is in one piece i think,as the board came.

Generally a good idea to have the upstairs lighting and downstairs sockets on one of the rcd's and vice-versa. Then your customer won't be grovelling in the dark when the downstairs RFC causes a trip (the usual scenario).

Generally a good idea to have the upstairs lighting and downstairs sockets on one of the rcd's and vice-versa. Then your customer won't be grovelling in the dark when the downstairs RFC causes a trip (the usual scenario).

Good advice thanks.

hey guys im installing my first dual split ccu and i have a querie its a wylex brand ccu and it comes with a complete busbar. im wondering to i have to cut it myself? and where should it be connected too? i did attach the whole busbar but it just doesnt look right.... if anyone has a picture that could help, i would appreiciate it greatfully...

Try google

Sorry but this is pretty basic stuff.

Have you looked at the installation sheet that comes with the board?

If this is a wind up then sorry but I have bitten

hey guys im installing my first dual split ccu and i have a querie its a wylex brand ccu and it comes with a complete busbar. im wondering to i have to cut it myself? and where should it be connected too? i did attach the whole busbar but it just doesnt look right.... if anyone has a picture that could help, i would appreiciate it greatfully...

yes you do cut it yourself to suit the configuration of the split RCDs. i think if you have to ask this, you're not competent enough to be doing it.

Try google

Sorry but this is pretty basic stuff.

Have you looked at the installation sheet that comes with the board?

If this is a wind up then sorry but I have bitten

actually i have misleading information the ccu i have in my own house has one bar across the ccu even though it has a split load and then on the instructions i got with the ccu it says i should cut it. im not winding you up and im sorry if im not as intelligent as you but u could at least help me...

then look at the pic that the OP posted way back. where he's got that blank positioned is where he has to cut the busbar. his was a MK board, so it's left to right as opposed to the wylex right to left, but the principal's the same. each RCD has to feed only the MCBs that it controls, and they must be separated on the outgoing side.

actually i have misleading information the ccu i have in my own house has one bar across the ccu even though it has a split load and then on the instructions i got with the ccu it says i should cut it. im not winding you up and im sorry if im not as intelligent as you but u could at least help me...

The reason for asking if it is a wind up is that anyone who was competent to fit a new CU would not need to ask the questions you are asking. And because of that these sorts of questions are often assumed to be wind ups on this forum.

It is nothing personal, just experience of either incompetent people fitting electrical equipment on a " it didnt blow up so it must be fine" basis or people with so little to do in their lives that they ask the most basic of questions here to wind people up.

could always get a plumber to cut it. they're good at cutting copper in the wrong place.

Reply to MK dual RCD busbar help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock