Discuss MK switches 10amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right I have 2000 watts on one switch and 1000 watts on the other, so I want to know as its a 2 gang switch is this ok as 10 amps per switch?

so you have 3 kw on a 10 amp switch then? oh dear :bulb2: what size cable and circuit breaker is on the circuit? what type breaker? and how did you calculate your load?

so you have 3 kw on a 10 amp switch then? oh dear :bulb2: what size cable and circuit breaker is on the circuit? what type breaker? and how did you calculate your load?

I haven't calculated anything yet! And I know what ratings to put per cable and what breaker to put it on, shall I just ring MK? If I have a 8 gang plate with 8x10 amp switches in does that allow only 1.25 amps per circuit!

why do you need to ring mk? the switch is 10 amp rated, if you know the load then thats all you need, 3 kw is 3000 watts which is approx 4.3 amps per 1000 watts at 230 volts, thats approx 13 amps ish, so the question is how have you calculated the load? and is the cable up to the job? and is the right breaker there after you tested the ZS?

okay another question for you, if you put both switches down will the 10 amp rating of the switch be safe for the load connected to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be fine, the switch won't be subjected to a current above its rating. The circuit just won't work as the MCB should trip.

Personally if your asking advice about changing a light switch then maybe is get someone in. 2000w is a lot to be on one lighting circuit. That's assuming its a domestic lighting circuit as you have not given much info away, lets start with what size cable is it ? Mcb size? Installation method.

Reply to MK switches 10amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Strange on this, we are wiring an extension at the moment and I would like to 3 way the (currently 2 way) landing switch to the new bedroom so...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
I’m planning a 240V welder circuit in a detached garage with a 100A sub panel. For the 160A or 180A output welders I’m looking at, the conductor...
Replies
Views
Evening Gents just after a bit of advice and what would you do differently. I have wired up 3 kw heaters in 4mm tuff cable (40 meter distance...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock