Discuss mobile payment terminals? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Morning fellas

Anybody got a mobile payment terminal to take debit card details ?

Any details on which is best and their costs?

Thanks

all much of a much on price, I'm just waiting on my reader from sum up there charge 2.75%, which sounds pricey but if it means I walk away from the job payment in hand it's a price worth paying I reckon.

saw one at elex coventry, plugged a small reader into your iphone, swiped card and invoiced from phone, looked quite good, cost was 3% of transaction value, apparently no other fees to pay and reader was free too

I though it was a bit pricey when I looked into it I always state my preferred method of payment to be Internet based and it works really well, no fees and money in the the account almost instantly.

Paypal will be bringing out "Paypal Here" in the UK soon, they have released it in the US and Canada already. Its a free card reader that plugs into the headphone socket of your android/iphone. Free app to run it - You link it to your Paypal account, and all they charge you is 2.75%. They also a provide a debit card to directly access funds in your Paypal account, and if used in stores (not cash withdrawals) you get 1% cashback. So hypothetically you only pay 1.75% on transactions if you use all of the money received into your paypal account from the "Here" device. You can signup online to receive notification when it becomes available in the UK. I have! :)

theres quite a few companies about here in the uk doing it, I would stick with a mobile terminal from a payment handling company, they are cheaper and less charges than banks, if you go with a bank for a terminal they use mobile terminals provided by other companies and then charge you higher monthly rental fees, a bigger % of the transaction plus a charge for each use, as well as higher % charges if paid by a card from a rival bank....then they hit you with a 30p internet connection charge each time the terminal dials into the bank computer.....the handling companies charge about 2.5% and 12p connection for each use, also they charge about 30p extra for each payment with a debit card(as opposed to a credit card) whereas banks charge up to £1.50 for each use of a debit card plus about 4.5% and the 30p connection charge (so a £200 payment would cost £10.80p in fees deducted straight away) that's why a lot of low value sales like burger vans etc don't operate mobile payment terminals and Taxi companies are only starting to use them now as their hand has been forced by the 100% reliance and use by most people these days of chip and pin instead of carrying cash....I knew of a few small taxi firms that tried out mobile payment terminals 10 years ago and quickly ditched them again until just recently (in the last 6 months)

if you look you will see that a lot of chip and pin accepting shops and businesses will not accept @m3ric@n xpress cards as they have to sign up to an extra deal with the bank to accept them, and the fees can be huge, as its off the back of an entirely american card processing system as opposed to m@astercard and V!sa which are worldwide based ...and causes problems.....
I have been told (and this was about 5 years ago) by a shop owner, and then by a Hotel owner when I asked, that the fees were so big that if somebody wanted to use the card, the minimum fee would be £10.00........ie buying a bag of sweets in a shop and the shopkeeper would get charged £10.00 making a big loss......so very few wanted to touch them.....for things like a £500 car hire or buying a wedding dress this was ok but not for small things....

The result of this was a lot of very very vocal and loud furious US tourists kicking off about the card being declined here, it is just like a debit card back home for them, and is pretty useless here...resulting in a lot of arguments in hotels etc....so you have to watch what cards you get paid with as some banks penalise for using rival banks cards...

you just have to look at it, a lot of credit and debit cards from here get thrown back in your face in the USA and Europe as they think that they are worthless and that they will get charge-backs or conned in some way, or they just don't trust them.....and sometimes also for the fact that they know that they will get bigger bank fees for accepting them....then they come over here on holiday themselves and kick off about having cards declined.....

if you look up bank cards declined abroad on google you will see a lot about this, as well as about charges to businesses for accepting different bank cards, etc...

So what wrong with the customer pinging the payment into your account card reader sounds fine if you are a shop with 100s of transactions a day but me thinks a terminal would get kicked around the back of your motor and get used once a fornight so is it worth the set up cost and fee ?

So what wrong with the customer pinging the payment into your account card reader sounds fine if you are a shop with 100s of transactions a day but me thinks a terminal would get kicked around the back of your motor and get used once a fornight so is it worth the set up cost and fee ?

I'm getting more and more customers asking if I take card payments, what I find is when I leave a job without payment it takes forever to get the invoice paid even when the say ' I'll transfer the money tonight' it's usually a couple of weeks of me resending the invoice and phoning them to that classic response 'oh I forgot sorry I'll do it today'. I'd rather have a facility to extract the payment there and then at a couple of percent than spend my valuable time chasing the bill for the next month.

I asked my bank once and from memory I had to buy the unit, can't remember how much but it was quite a bit, and then it was £30 a month for the mobile contact etc. I didn't go for it at the time but may look into it again.

I'm getting more and more customers asking if I take card payments, what I find is when I leave a job without payment it takes forever to get the invoice paid even when the say ' I'll transfer the money tonight' it's usually a couple of weeks of me resending the invoice and phoning them to that classic response 'oh I forgot sorry I'll do it today'. I'd rather have a facility to extract the payment there and then at a couple of percent than spend my valuable time chasing the bill for the next month.

Yep I see I must admit I have only had to chase 2 people for payment one a scattered brain woman who funny enough held a high post with a bank the other was the father of a girl who I helped by getting the shower back on for her due to a burnt out pullcord and he was based in the US and he only paid me when I contacted the girl to arrange a time and date to return to remove the pullcord so it was daughter power that got it paid. There is one thing for sure things are going to change as banks try to boost profits and one of them is taking a cut from us to transfer payment and yes I know we pay for this on our business accounts but these are token amounts compared to what they really want to charge

I don't take card payments at the moment, it's all BACS or cheque as I don't see why I should volunteer ANOTHER percentage for ANOTHER parasite organisation. That said I can see a time coming where it will be required, when it is I will simply pass on the cost to the customer, be it 1.5% or whatever. So they can pay by card, but they can pay for the convenience not me.

The place that the card reader will be invaluable to me is the £50 / £100 jobs which I seem to be doing quite a lot of so adding on a fiver for card payment is neither here nor there

Most of my payments are by cheque or cash, though some do BACS. May be the area I live in (mainly retired people), but at the moment not had any need for a card reader and don't want one either.

"oh I was hoping you would be too busy then give up and forget all about it"

Reply to mobile payment terminals? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net