Discuss Mobile Unit install - Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Installing sockets in a mobile unit/vehicle. Was going to use T&E but just looked in regs and it says bs6004 "flexible cables should be used". In regards to flexible cables am I right in presuming it must actually be flex cable or should T&E be sufficient?

Also installing a mains socket inlet on exterior of vehicle to hook up to generating set. Would IP44 be sufficient for this?

I'm not sure about your T&E question but I'm pretty sure IP44 wouldn't be good enough for an external socket on a mobile unit. I'd be looking at IP 65 or better.

I'm not sure about your T&E question but I'm pretty sure IP44 wouldn't be good enough for an external socket on a mobile unit. I'd be looking at IP 65 or better.

Thats what I thought but..from the regs...

Connection devices mounted,accessed or used outside the unit and used to connect the unit to the supply, or supply other equipment shall comply with BSEN 60309-2 and shall meet the following requirements:
(i) connecting devices shall be within an enclosure of insulating material
(ii)connecting devices shall afford a degree of protection of not less than IP44
(iii)enclosures containing the connecting devices shall provide a degree of protection of at least IP55 when no cable connections are made to the unit. When cable connections are made to the unit the enclosure shall provide a degree of protection not less than IP44

The caravan sockets I've seen on the net are all IP44, but have a cap on them... Pretty confused.

So the from what I am reading the socket is fine being IP44 but it needs to be mounted inside an enclosure at is at least IP55 when the generating set is not connected to it?

So what enclosure do I use? This is on an old vehicle/can that is being turned into a coffee stall for festivals etc. having a socket mounted to the side of it is bad enough. But an additional closure to fit that socket into is ridiculous and I have no idea what that enclosure should look like etc????

The inlet has to be of a commando socket type an there just isn't anything onthee market that encloses the commando sockets.

I'd like to put the socket inside but the client is having their generating set external so it will mean running the extension cable through a door or widow etc. which they don't want to do. If the generating set was inside it would be fine.

Looking back at the older regs the mobile units have recently changed to IP55 enclosure. Yet there is nothing on the market to do it!

Yes old red regs state IP44 is sufficient for all exterior sockets

Big green book says must be enclosed in at least IP55 what a silly addition!!!!

No mate, if you look in regs outside inlet must be mounted in an enclosure. The enclosure must give IP55 protection when the commando plug is not inserted.It's absolute madness because there is nothing on the market that can make this happen!

I think the regs state that if the plug is not inserted then the protection level must be IP55. The reference to enclosure is to the connecting unit which can be considered to be the electrical connections and the standard IP66 60309 sockets have their own built in enclosure of these connections that will meet the regulations. An Enclosure does not have to be a box around an accessory it can be part of the accessory itself.
This is just my understanding.

The old regs where much more straight forward. Ie IP44 is sufficient.

Richard I just don't know why they would mention an "enclosure" if all they were trying to say was must be IP55 minimum. It would be much easier to say it that way. For that reason I actually believe it must be enclosed seperatley

If your regs stipulate an enclosure then I can only imagine it's a mechanical protection thing, there's many sockets that can provide IP55 without being enclosed. Maybe one of you could get clarification of the regs by phoning your scheme provider.

Reply to Mobile Unit install - Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net